1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Sep '05 16:591 edit
    One option would be for the site to revert to the rules of chess as it was played before the 14th Century. So Queens have the same moves as the king, pawns can only go forward one space, bishops move 2 squares and you can't castle. This would break every single chess engine on the market. The only problem is we'd be playing a different game. I don't think that there's an easy method of doing this, other than catching enough of them so that people don't get tempted.

Edit: It might make for an interesting themed tournament though.
  2. Standard memberderek9037
    Elder Statesman
    Moves
    05 Sep '05 19:12
    Originally posted by Wheely
    Firstly, I myself, don't have any dll's on my machine and there are a significant number of people who also don't have any.
    Well I'm not being funny here, but if you have no dll's, then you are running a very strange operating system.

But I'm only making (silly?) suggestions. Maybe the meeting up / RHP sponsored tournaments idea is the best of the lot. 🙂
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 03:33
    I think the best cheat deterrent is to not allow anyone to play any moves on this site at all. That way there won't be any cheats.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 04:38
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I think the best cheat deterrent is to not allow anyone to play any moves on this site at all. That way there won't be any cheats.
    Comprehensive! I like it!
  5. Earth Prime
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 05:49
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    yet half of us would continue to pay.
  6. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 05:52
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    One option would be for the site to revert to the rules of chess as it was played before the 14th Century. So Queens have the same moves as the king, pawns can only go forward one space, bishops move 2 squares and you can't castle. This would break every single chess engine on the market. The only problem is we'd be playing a different game. I don ...[text shortened]... t people don't get tempted.

Edit: It might make for an interesting themed tournament though.
    it would make an interesting tournament at that
  7. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 08:43
    Originally posted by derek9037
    Well I'm not being funny here, but if you have no dll's, then you are running a very strange operating system.

But I'm only making (silly?) suggestions. Maybe the meeting up / RHP sponsored tournaments idea is the best of the lot. 🙂
    Not really, the majority of operating systems don't have any files called anything remotely like *.dll

I'll admit to having dynamically loadable libraries and shared libraries too but a) they don't appear in process lists b) can easily be disguised as something else and c) don't get used if I statically link an engine for which I have the source.

Given the number of operating systems out there, I'm not sure any kind of spyware is going to be of much use.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree