Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 07 Dec '10 20:47
    Hi,

Once a skull comes up is there any point of playing on?
    It seems a player can simply move & then claim the timeout.

Has anyone at least discussed the option of some form of a 5 min protection?
    IE: Yes skulls are up but if my opponent wishes to stay on line & make continuous moves they can at least finish the game!? Or vice-versa I can stay on line for an hour & at least if I am moving every few minutes gain a few minutes "get out of jail free".

If I then log off - after a few minutes later my opponent can claim the time-out?!

Personally I appreciate that real life happens & can interfere with logging on.
    Thoughts?
  2. 07 Dec '10 21:28
    Originally posted by FoolsM8
    Hi,

IE: Yes skulls are up but if my opponent wishes to stay on line & make continuous moves they can at least finish the game!? Or vice-versa I can stay on li ...[text shortened]...

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are as follows:

Say that we have a game of 3 days thinking time and 7 days of timebank. Let's further say that your time bank is out, so you are in fact playing, not 3/7 but 3/0 for the rest of your game.

This makes you have a mercy of 3 days for each move. That's more than enough. Do you really need more mercy time? I don't think so.

No change is necessary. I't a good system as it is. Perhaps too generous, but we've got acustomed with it.
  3. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    08 Dec '10 00:02
    Hi,

IE: Yes skulls are up but if my opponent wishes to stay on line & make continuous moves they can at least finish the game!? Or vice-versa I can stay on li ...[text shortened]...

Thoughts?
    The only time I can imagine this being a problem is in time controls with 0 days per move [timebank only]. Then again, why are people accepting such time controls for a correspondence game? It's insanity.
  4. 08 Dec '10 02:21
    Hi,

Thoughts?
    Yes its worth playing on.

Unless you are playing in a timebank only game, where the timebank has expired, then unless your opponent takes the skull, once you move you will then be back to having 1/3/7/14/21 or 28 days before the skull reappears depending on the time controls of the game.

The skull will only appear one you have exhausted both the agreed time per move and any addional agreed timebank.
  5. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    16 Dec '10 06:52
    play on. you might accidentally have a good game. it's possible that your opponent cares less about a win by time and would rather have a good game. you might actually enjoy playing the moves, even if your opponent grabs the skull on a later move. your opponent could suddenly drop dead when you push submit, then you get to take his or her skull, although that does seem a little awkward.