1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Jan '05 15:51
    With the talk about having a forum for every conceivable topic (religion, jokes etc. etc.) wouldn't it be a good idea if we could give threads icons to show what the underlying topic is.
    This way we can see at a glance if it's a discussion we are interested in and would like to join. Some titles can be a bit confusing.
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    15 Jan '05 17:03
    But then you'll need hundreds of icons?
    And if that will be the case, why would an icon be more descriptive than the title? With lots of icons surely there will be quite a few unclear to most of the people. Icons are better suited for recognition than they are of explaining.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Jan '05 17:23
    Originally posted by Aiko
    But then you'll need hundreds of icons?
    And if that will be the case, why would an icon be more descriptive than the title? With lots of icons surely there will be quite a few unclear to most of the people. Icons are better suited for recognition than they are of explaining.
    Why would you need 100s? Just general descriptions should be enough, you could have:

Religious
    Scientific
    Philosophical
    Poltical
    Current Affairs
    Academia
    Sport
    Media

Maybe a couple of others, but these should cover 99% of the discussions, perhaps even a miscellaneous icon too.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Jan '05 17:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    15 Jan '05 19:09
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Why would you need 100s? Just general descriptions should be enough, you could have:

Religious
    Scientific
    Philosophical
    Poltical
    Current Affairs
    Academia
    Sport
    Media

Maybe a couple of others, but these should cover 99% of the discussions, perhaps even a miscellaneous icon too.
    Uhmmm.... yes, you are right, sorry, I was thinking this a bit more in depth. For instance, a topic with e.g. "I lost my slice of cheese in my car, what to do?" would need quite a specific icon. Ah, but you mean general icons of the topic where a discussion is being held, so to speak just an icon for the top topic 'Cheese' where the discussion of the lost slice of cheese is being held? Than just a few are enough, indeed. Guess I misunderstood the original post.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    17 Jan '05 08:00
    Originally posted by Starrman

Religious
    Scientific
    Philosophical
    Poltical
    Current Affairs
    Academia
    Sport
    Media

Yup, that's what I thought. Obviously the icons would only be used in the general and debates forums.

I just think that instead of people getting irritated and then moaning about how there should be new forums "because I don't like to talk about god" etc. etc. if you could indicate what the thread is 'about' then other users could easily skip past threads they're not interested in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree