Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 25 Oct '06 09:34
    I would like to know an opponents Time Zone. It has to do a little with planning the moves and the games.

Also, when I find a person, say from China, I would like to know if he actually is playing from China or from New York.

I play from Sweden at Time Zone +1 but the majority of my opponents play from US with Time Zone -4 to -7. Therefore my morning activities is nearly dead as Americans tend to sleep at their nightly hours.

So if I play with opponents in the same Time Zone or eastwards then I can have activities around the clock. I would like to spread out my opponents around the globe if it’s possible.

I've asked before - does the flag represent location or nationality? - and have got the answer – One can't tell!
    The Time Zone information is thus more informative than what the flag is.

Suggestion - Show also players Time Zone in the players profile.
  2. 25 Oct '06 17:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I would like to know an opponents Time Zone. It has to do a little with planning the moves and the games.

Also, when I find a person, say from China, I would like to know if he actually is playing from China or from New York.

I play from Sweden at Time Zone +1 but the majority of my opponents play from US with Time Zone -4 to -7. Therefore my mornin ...[text shortened]... ive than what the flag is.

I agree -
    it should be stated relative to GMT [or UTC] though, as I 've seen people say their timezone is PST, MP3 or BBC or something which means little or nothing to anyone except the people IN that timezone.
  3. 25 Oct '06 17:32
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

So if I play with opponents in the same Time Zone or eastwards then I can have activities around the clock. I would li ...[text shortened]... ive than what the flag is.

Agreed. As a Scottish person who now lives in China I have noticed the difference in patterns of when players play from my (GMT+7) perspective. It would be nice to have an option for 'Location, if different from chosen flag'.

Not really essential, but a good idea, and that's what this forum is all about, isn't it? :-)