1. Graceland.
    Moves
    04 Dec '04 14:26
    Hi.

Currently playing in a tournament and coming up against a player that was beating me. He went on holiday and since then got timed out to the extent where he's about 400 points below my ranking. Ironicallly he is infact up a piece in both our games and should really win those.

Now, I don't like timing people out whilst they are on holiday, however I am in a lose/lose situation. Either I time him out, or he beats me and kills my rating as everyone has timed him out.

This is becoming a no win situation. People will time a player out ASAP either through lack of consideration, or as they stand too much to lose should this player with a lowered ranking beat them.

I really don't want to have to resort to timing people out simply as a protective measure. This will negate the entire concept behind the holiday flag system. Again I suggest a 'given' 10 day holiday bank..
  2. UK
    Moves
    04 Dec '04 16:54
    I find this side of the ratings system can be a bit flawed too. for example I'm now playing someone who has lost loads of points against his normal average because he was timed out of a lot of matches.

This now means that he has to claw his way back up again, or higher rated players have to take the possibility of losing lots of points, both of which seem a bit unfair.

What can actually be done though I don't know.
  3. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    04 Dec '04 17:34
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Hi.

Currently playing in a tournament and coming up against a player that was beating me. He went on holiday and since then got timed out to the extent where he's about 400 points below my ranking. Ironicallly he is infact up a piece in both our games and should really win those.

Now, I don't like timing people out whilst they are on holiday, howev ...[text shortened]... entire concept behind the holiday flag system. Again I suggest a 'given' 10 day holiday bank..
    If its a tournament, the timeout should be automatic. Actually Russ has to run a process, so its not strictly automatic. But normally after 2 days, its curtains.

If I were your opponent, and I hadn't bothered to log on in time, I would have expected to be timed out.

Its a personal preference, but I prefer to timeout as and when the skull appears. The only exceptions are personal challenges and when the opponent has sent a PM explaining special circumstances.

The timebank system covers most situations. And even beyond that, when on holiday players can find internet access points to avoid being timed out, if they really wanted to.
  4. Graceland.
    Moves
    04 Dec '04 21:06
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher

Its a personal preference, but I prefer to timeout as and when the skull appears. The only exceptions are personal challenges and when the opponent has sent a PM explaining special circumstances.

One day timeout tournaments last ages. Nothing more frustrating than spending hours playing a game, only to be timed out first chance you give your opponent. Sometimes, we simply can't help BUT not have internet access. My wife certainly will not understand why we can't go away for a weekend because I'll be timed out in all my tournament games...

The current system only benefits those that choose to time out immediately and seem to never go on holiday. Next year I will actually have 35 days holiday. Ofcourse I don't expect 35 days off from RHP, but the odd 3 days here and there would simply mean that those that don't time me out atleast don't lose mega rating points when I go on to beat them in the end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree