1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 17:11
    If i enter a tournament with four player groupings and end up in round two with 6 people in my group, i think it's safe to say that something is broken here...and that i've been unfairly given more games than i signed up for. If two players end a group with equal points, they should play deciders until there is one left...it's the only fair way for everyone involved
  2. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 10:02
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    If i enter a tournament with four player groupings and end up in round two with 6 people in my group, i think it's safe to say that something is broken here...and that i've been unfairly given more games than i signed up for. If two players end a group with equal points, they should play deciders until there is one left...it's the only fair way for everyone involved
    Bad idea. Tournaments take a long time already. Adding two more games makes everyone else wait even longer. And if you set up two equally-good players against eachother it could take more then two games befor a winner is decided.

Besides, theres a warning in every tournament: "Group size may vary depending on number of entrants" so you knew it could happen. If you cant handle it; dont play tournaments.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 11:30
    i hate agreeing with zozo.

so i'm just going to pretend i didn't see this thread 😏
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 20:081 edit
    Tournament 9605

Why not split the 7 players into two groups for round 2. Sure, the groups are uneven, but so what?
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 21:49
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I wondered about this so I looked through some completed tournaments and found that there are quite a few with 5/6/7 player final rounds.

Another 7 player final round was Tournament 4893

It would appear that the way they are set up that they expect only 1 player to progress from each group and so the final round would consist of only 4 players. Where more proceed then unless the tally reached 7 or more then the players that progress are in the final round.

Haven't found any normal penultimate round where there were 8 players or more progressing to see if they they were all put into a final group playoff or if they would be split into two groups.

I can just see the complaints now if your idea was to be followed through, especially in longer time control tournaments. You could also argue that if you and player B end up with same points then the player with the best record against the other should progress rather than play two extra games.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 00:35
    Originally posted by adramforall

Haven't found any normal penultimate round where there were 8 players or more progressing to see if they they were all put into a final group playoff or if they would be split into two groups.
    always split into 2 groups.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree