1. Upstate NY
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 22:03
    I suggest a second vacation flag/message option that could be posted without using up any of the allotted 36 vacation days.

This would be available solely as a optional courtesy to opponents to let them know a player is away and for how long, etc.

Unless I am mistaken, to give such notice under the current system, one has to burn the real (skull protecting) vacation days even if timeout protection is not necessary. The point is, vacation flag serves 2 purposes: 1) protection from timeout and 2) notification to opponents. The current system favors use for the first reason at expense of the second.

Case in point: I was recently on the road for 4-5 days. My games are all 3/7 and there was no risk of any of my games timing out. So, I did not use the vacation system at all, so as to conserve the days for a real need (which, granted, I will probably never have). I am suggesting it might be nice to have the option to post a flag (maybe a different color?) to let other know in such situations. This is nothing critical to the site's funcitoning, but I think some players would use it and some players would appreciate seeing the notices.
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 23:37
    Originally posted by gedwin
    I suggest a second vacation flag/message option that could be posted without using up any of the allotted 36 vacation days.

This would be available solely as a optional courtesy to opponents to let them know a player is away and for how long, etc.

Unless I am mistaken, to give such notice under the current system, one has to burn the real (skull protect ...[text shortened]... ng, but I think some players would use it and some players would appreciate seeing the notices.
    This is a great suggestion. Highly recommend. No downside. Serves a valuable purpose. Actually is a constructive idea. They may ban you.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 02:09

Unless I am mistaken, to give such notice under the current system, one has to burn the real (skull protect ...[text shortened]... ng, but I think some players would use it and some players would appreciate seeing the notices.
    Does it really matter?

If its my move in a game, I'll move, if its not then I won't.

Skull appears = CRUSHED

I don't care for whatever holiday messages are input.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 04:00
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Does it really matter?

Skull appears = CRUSHED

As for information it is useful. And I think it's easy implemented.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 18:26
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    As for information it is useful. And I think it's easy implemented.
    What happens if a player says they will be away for 5 days and they return after 3 days or 8 days? NOTHING.

It is superfluous information with no meaning.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 18:33
    What happens if a player says they will be away for 5 days and they return after 3 days or 8 days? NOTHING.

It is superfluous information with no meaning.
    That's right, and anyone knows it.
    If you rely on that information and take action because it is true, and it turns out to be false, then you cannot blame anyone.
    So giving the information, without any obligation to keep it as a promise, then it's alright.

But yet, you can always mail your vacation plans to all your opponents anyway.
  7. Upstate NY
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 21:18
    Does it really matter?

Skull appears = CRUSHED

Agree, it doesn't ~really~ matter. It is a courtesy that can be used or ignored - much like the current profile. But, it is an option that is currently not available to those who might like it.

The point is, there will be NO skulls. This notification would NOTbe used if you had a game on the line - the current vacation system is used for that. This would just be a way to say "Visiting Aunt Martha - no moves for 5 days." Notably, it would also show a flag (somehow visually distinct from the protective vacation) on games lists, tourney summaries, siege tables, etc.

Many players, like you, won't care. That's fine. Some players would, say, if they are in a regularly paced, entertaining game that suddenly stops. They would know what to expect, when it is likely to start up again. As I said in my first post, this is truly not critical info for the functioning of the site, but I think would be a nice feature many would appreciate.
  8. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 08:42
    [snip]This would just be a way to say "Visiting Aunt Martha - no moves for 5 days." Notably, it would also show a flag (somehow visually distinct from the protective vacation) on games lists, tourney summaries, siege tables, etc.

[snip].Some players would, say, if they are in a regularly paced, entertaining game that suddenly stops. They would know what ...[text shortened]... fo for the functioning of the site, but I think would be a nice feature many would appreciate.
    A stunningly good idea sir!

A simple way of being courteous to your opponents, with not much cost to either side.

It would be possible to edit one's profile with the same info, but that means remembering to edit it back. However, to a certain extent, this would be a return to the "old" vacation system, where you did not get timeout protection, and the flag was just an indication - to be ignored if you were in that frame of mind. I think there might well be some of the same issues, of people offended when timedout while on vacation, but not under timeout protection. As such, I would be surprised if it were implemented. 🙁
  9. Standard memberBedingbedang
    commente moi donc ça
    Montreal
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 10:47
    This is actually what the vacation system used to be. To people who say it's useless, did you take skulls when the vacation flag was up back then? Some did, others didn't. It would have a similar effect now I think. A few more would take the (accidental) skulls since some would say the opponent should've used the other vacation system.

I think it's a good idea. In the meantime you can always leave a message on your profile but not many of your opponents will actually read it. If you don't have a lot of games you can always message opponents individually but that is not very efficient.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree