1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 May '09 14:08
    Originally posted by gezza
    Guys.
    Silly question. What if you were to do the same without having the vacation flag up? Would it really be so very different?
    Cheers,
    G.
    Sure you can enter an unlimited amount of games without the flag but the time controls in thoses games will eventually clear those games away without hanging whole tournaments. You can only go for the stupid record because you can enter a tournament while you have other games paused that you are not playing.
  2. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 May '09 14:151 edit
    Originally posted by mrmist
    Why not just prevent people from starting any new games or joining any new tounaments whilst they have a flag up?
    Which has been my position from the beginning. Players that played could still add as many games as they wanted and if you needed (?) to enter a tourney while on vacation then all you need to do is move in your timed out games, flip the flag, enter, and flip it back. No one would lose anything - we would just make it harder for the inconsiderate to add games while they are not playing the ones they already have.
  3. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    23 May '09 15:44
    Two points I've made before, but I don't think they've been made in this thread:

(1) Without a vacation system I can't safely enter any tournaments except "long haul", because I can't predict when the second round will start. I know I'll be away for a fortnight later this year.

(2) If, in a revised system, one can't move without dropping the vacation flag, what am I supposed to do on the day after my fortnight away? If I don't have any protection while working through the "games waiting", then what's the point?
  4. Here
    Moves
    23 May '09 16:43
    Originally posted by John of Reading
    Two points I've made before, but I don't think they've been made in this thread:

(1) Without a vacation system I can't safely enter any tournaments except "long haul", because I can't predict when the second round will start. I know I'll be away for a fortnight later this year.

(2) If, in a revised system, one can't move without dropping the va ...[text shortened]... ve any protection while working through the "games waiting", then what's the point?
    Surely on ( point 2 ) you book an extra couple of days you don't book the exact time you will be away
  5. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    23 May '09 16:47
    Yes, you can do this with the current system. But some of the posts in this thread advocate a revised system where you can't move with the flag up, or where the flag is automatically dropped when you make a move.
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 May '09 17:551 edit
    Yes, you can do this with the current system. But some of the posts in this thread advocate a revised system where you can't move with the flag up, or where the flag is automatically dropped when you make a move.
    I am not advocating that - I am only advocating that people who DO NOT have all their games CURRENT should not be allowed to enter new tournaments. I propose no change in the current system regarding vacations. You will have all the time you have now to make your games current so you can enter a new tournament and you may turn your flag back on any time after that. Can anyone explain to me why a player would need to enter a new tournament if they were incapable of making all their games current?
  7. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    23 May '09 19:40
    Gezza suggested something in another thread that I think is brilliant in its simplicity. If you have a skull showing or would have a skull showing if your vacation flag wasn't showing, you can't enter a new game or tournament.

No change to current vacation rules, so I think you are unaffected. The only impediment is that if you are in a timeout situation, you are barred from starting a new game.

In your fortnight situation, you came back and found round 2 of a tournament had started, you couldn't make move one in the tournie until you'd cleared up your old, timed out games WHILE still on vacation.

Fair enough?
  8. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    23 May '09 20:36
    Sounds good to me!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree