1. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 11:381 edit
    Various people in different forums have suggested a form where users "varify" their real OTB rating in order to enter tournamnets and other competitive games. This has obvoiusly caused much worry to those of us (like myself) who do not have a OTB rating and are unlikely to get one.

I would suggest a more liberal approach, declaring your OTB rating should be optional, just like selecting your national flag. How does this make much difference to the current situation? Well just like Russ can set up tournaments based on your location, I assume he can also set them up based on whether or not you have declared your varified OTB rating.

Currently tournaments are defined by the number of entrants, group size, rating, and whether random or normal sorting of entrants is used. I do not see why we can not have all banded tournamnets over a certain threshold also constrained by entrants needing a OTB rating. I would assume the vast majority of players over 1850 have an OTB rating in some form.

Obviously, Russ can determine whether he wants each tournamnet to be "open" to all or "restricted" by varified rating. Given the amount or tournamnets on RHP I am sure this will not exclude anyone in the long run, while ensuring that RHP can hold blue ribbon tournaments for the top 10% of players where they can feel more confident they are not playing an engine.

Is there also anyway that members who wish could achieve a varified RHP rating of some form? I don't know on this seems a bit difficult. But I am sure there are some big enough brains on this site to come up with an idea or two,

Andrew
  2. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    21 Dec '04 13:15
    i see where you are coming from, but.....

and this is speaking specifically for myself but i am sure there will be others in a similar position.

ive never been to any chess club, nor do i have any intention of going to a chess club. i am far too lazy to go out and find real people to play against, thats why i use the internet.

id be happy to play someone from the site in an OTB match next time they are in Aberdeen. in fact i would be glad of it. However. im worried that having an unverified tag on the site and would feel that i am being lumped into a group with all the suspected cheaters, which isnt fair..

even if there are ample tournaments for unverified users - shouldnt i have the right to play in tournaments where i can be sure all the other entrants are not cheating?

so basically, i think verification of a players ability is a good idea in itself, however i strongly feel that the problems that having a 2 tier society should be addressed first or it may alienate people who cannot be verified.

p.
  3. UK
    Moves
    22 Dec '04 22:37
    Originally posted by pendejo

ive never been to any chess club, nor do i have any intention of going to a chess club. i am far too lazy to go out and find real people to play against, thats why i use the internet...

...However. im worried that having an unverified tag on the site and would feel that i am being lumped into a group with all the suspected cheaters, which isnt fa ...[text shortened]... 2 tier society should be addressed first or it may alienate people who cannot be verified.

p.
    I agree totally. I think that it would be a backwards step for this site to introduce the idea of "confirmed" ratings.

There is no way that you could do that without the members who do not have confirmed ratings becoming second class citizens, which is completely unfair.

4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    24 Dec '04 10:23
    Originally posted by mrmist
    I agree totally. I think that it would be a backwards step for this site to introduce the idea of "confirmed" ratings.

There is no way that you could do that without the members who do not have confirmed ratings becoming second class citizens, which is completely unfair.

And how would you confirm them anyway?
    We could all look up the site of the chess federation of a far-away, exotic country and assume the persona (or rating at least) of a player from there. The chances that they're already registered here is minimmal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree