1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 03:35
    I look for new arrivals to play against, because so many of them just play other p1200s who make a move or two and then disappear. That must cause quite a few to lose interest and wander off. I figure at my rating level I have nothing to lose even if they turn out to be strong players.

I rarely see a p1200 offering a game in Open Invites, and it's no use my putting games up there because I can't nominate p1200 as an option.

Russ, encouraging newcomers to the site is to your benefit - could we have an option somewhere that would make games available only to p1200 players?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 03:561 edit
    at schemingmind ( before i was banned for saying something complimentary in favor of bobby sands who starved himself to death in a british prison ..an ira soldier..) they have a "welcoming game" deal.

if you sign up to accept a newcomer ( a welcoming game ) and if that newcomer eventually becomes a paying member you get a free extra month on your own subscription.

it works well for all three parties .
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 21:20
    Recocomnded!
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 03:34
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I look for new arrivals to play against, because so many of them just play other p1200s who make a move or two and then disappear. That must cause quite a few to lose interest and wander off. I figure at my rating level I have nothing to lose even if they turn out to be strong players.

I rarely see a p1200 offering a game in Open Invites, and it's no u ...[text shortened]... fit - could we have an option somewhere that would make games available only to p1200 players?
    I like that idea. 🙂
  5. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 09:55
    One tiny flaw in the Reinfeld idea.

You could open a new account and play yourself then get a sub for
    this new account. Do this 12 times paying for 12 new accounts and
    you save yourself and rob from the site a whole years subscription.

If everyone did this then there would be no subscriptions coming in and....

...wait a minute.....

If a sub is say £30 and you pay for 12 subs, that is you spending £360
    to save £30.

Reinfeld that is a stupid idea. (Rec'd)
  6. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 18:18
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    at schemingmind ( before i was banned for saying something complimentary in favor of bobby sands who starved himself to death in a british prison ..an ira soldier..) they have a "welcoming game" deal.

if you sign up to accept a newcomer ( a welcoming game ) and if that newcomer eventually becomes a paying member you get a free extra month on your own subscription.

it works well for all three parties .
    ira soidier? dont you mean terrorist who died in a irish prison. is bin laden a freedom fighting "soldier" in your eyes?
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 23:13
    Originally posted by roma45
    ira soidier? dont you mean terrorist who died in a irish prison. is bin laden a freedom fighting "soldier" in your eyes?
    Take yourself to the Debates forum please.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 09:26
    I support the idea of welcome games with volunteers.

We also had the idea some time ago to have a welcoming volunteer sqaud with people guiding newcomers through the site. That is a button for provisional players which sends an IM to the volunteers around if they ahve any questions.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 12:36
    A significant number of people arrive on the site, look around, play a move or two and then disappear. I'd support any changes which would encourage them to stay long enough to get addicted. The bigger the player pool, the better for RHP and all of us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree