Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member MrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    17 Mar '09 11:39
    Can someone here tell me what's happening these days with Games Explorer? Is the database being updated? How often? Is this ever going to become a menu option? When? :-)

    I use it; I love it; but, I'm not sure how current it is. :-)

    Thx! :-)
  2. 17 Mar '09 12:07
    Originally posted by MrJohn
    Can someone here tell me what's happening these days with Games Explorer? Is the database being updated? How often? Is this ever going to become a menu option? When? :-)

    I use it; I love it; but, I'm not sure how current it is. :-)

    Thx! :-)
    I love it too.

    I'm very happy when my opponents follows its advices blindly. 100% win with only three games vs 60% win with 100 games behind. Well, 100% is better than 60% isn't it?

    Well used it's a gold mind, badly used it's a pit of dirt.
  3. 17 Mar '09 13:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    ...gold mind...
    Nice pun.
  4. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    17 Mar '09 13:26
    A data refresh is happening offline right now, and will be made available once complete.

    Once we bring the data up to date, we will look at trying to keep it current.
  5. 17 Mar '09 18:41
    What is the point of the Games Explorer? And why doesn't the little hand appear when you hover over it?
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    17 Mar '09 19:37
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    What is the point of the Games Explorer? And why doesn't the little hand appear when you hover over it?
    The hand is so you can click a piece, and move it.

    This is a form of data. It helps you decide what may be a good move if there is data recorded on any given move. It is basically for opening play, because once you leave opening theory, chances are you will not find a given position in the explorer.

    http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/

    over on the right you will see a list of possible moves, you can click one and it will tell you chances of either color winning or drawing... and a list of games where the move was played at RHP.

    Toy with it, you can't break it.

    Example:

    http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/index.php?movelist=e2e4g8f6b1c3e7e6&flip=0&co=-&u=-1&c=1400

    There were about 28 games played using this opening. The moves didn't necessarily need to be in the same order, they got to the same position however and that's what's important.

    P-
  7. 31 Mar '09 15:46
    I don't see any link to the Games Explorer on the Home page or in the My Games page. From where can I access it?

    Thanks,

    Nitreb
  8. Standard member O Artem O
    ParTizan
    31 Mar '09 16:06
    Originally posted by Nitreb
    I don't see any link to the Games Explorer on the Home page or in the My Games page. From where can I access it?

    Thanks,

    Nitreb
    yea they dont have a link to it on the site, but here it is
    http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    31 Mar '09 18:38
    Originally posted by O Artem O
    yea they dont have a link to it on the site, but here it is
    http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/
    We (finally) have the data to refresh this now, I just need to actually upload it.

    This will bring it up to end of Dec 2008. A more recent refresh will take place again within the week.
  10. Standard member O Artem O
    ParTizan
    31 Mar '09 19:28
    Originally posted by Russ
    We (finally) have the data to refresh this now, I just need to actually upload it.

    This will bring it up to end of Dec 2008. A more recent refresh will take place again within the week.
    great, tnx a lot Russ for a great site!!
    when its uploaded and fixed will it update automatically(like every day, or week?)?
  11. Subscriber davaniel
    1.Nf3
    31 Mar '09 23:34
    Originally posted by Russ
    We (finally) have the data to refresh this now, I just need to actually upload it.

    This will bring it up to end of Dec 2008. A more recent refresh will take place again within the week.
    Great work Russ, have been eagerly awaiting that update searching my games has become a tiresome activity indeed...
    Cheers on the good work!
  12. 02 Apr '09 12:33
    Just noticed this thread - it still appears to be the old stuff and not
    updated yet.
  13. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    02 Apr '09 15:34
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Just noticed this thread - it still appears to be the old stuff and not
    updated yet.
    The size of the import of this data in its current form is quite substantial, so we will update in a quiet period. (Early morning GMT, over the weekend)
  14. 02 Apr '09 19:42 / 1 edit
    Cheers - when updated this feature will be a definate asset.

    Do you have a cut off mark ie up to move 10 for example or
    will you show all the Fool's and Scholar Mates. Also does it exclude
    doublers? (there are a few guys on here who have fallen for
    the same trap using the exact same move order v different opponets).

    A direct link to it would be useful. Thanks Again.
  15. 06 Apr '09 12:28
    It appears to have updated over the weekend - cheers Russ.