1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 03:58
    Copied from the General forum on the off-chance that someone in charge reads it.

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove in the General Forum
    When a post is on the first page of recommended posts list, I think it would be useful if one was able to see who it was recommended by.
    This would, among other things, have the effect of deterring indiscriminate recommendations which seems to be a major problem on this site.
  2. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 14:07
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Copied from the General forum on the off-chance that someone in charge reads it.

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove in the General Forum
    [b]When a post is on the first page of recommended posts list, I think it would be useful if one was able to see who it was recommended by.
    This would, among other things, have the effect of deterring indiscriminate recommendations which seems to be a major problem on this site.
    [/b]
    Great feature! I'd like to see it.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 14:28
    Recommendation should be done anonymously.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 15:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Recommendation should be done anonymously.
    Why?
    If someone is ashamed for others to see they have recommended a post to the rest of us, perhaps they should refrain.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 16:33
    Why?
    If someone is ashamed for others to see they have recommended a post to the rest of us, perhaps they should refrain.
    There should allways be a way to rec someone anonymously.
    If you want to reveal your namn you can easily do that in a posting.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 17:081 edit
    There should allways be a way to rec someone anonymously.
    If you want to reveal your namn you can easily do that in a posting.
    buts its so much easier to recommend a post than typing i agree.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 17:29
    Originally posted by trevor33
    buts its so much easier to recommend a post than typing i agree.
    True.
    And you can choose between reveal your name by a posting and rec anonymously. It's your choice.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 18:08
    I understand that you want to be anonymous but I can't understand WHY?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 18:43
    I understand that you want to be anonymous but I can't understand WHY?
    I just don't think it is important to know who recced who.
    If you want to show your name you can do it.
    If anyone want to be anonymous, they should be able to do it too, even if it is just a rec.

I feel that I repeat myself. Spoiling good bandwidth. Over and out.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 18:59
    I just don't think it is important to know who recced who.
    If you want to show your name you can do it.
    If anyone want to be anonymous, they should be able to do it too, even if it is just a rec.

I feel that I repeat myself. Spoiling good bandwidth. Over and out.
    You may have been repeating yourself but you still haven't said why you don't want others to know which post you have recommended.
  11. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 19:24
    You may have been repeating yourself but you still haven't said why you don't want others to know which post you have recommended.
    Can you imagine if you, for example, rec'd an opinion in the debates forum ? The fallout could be being pestered for the rest of your forum life by opponents of the view in question.

Bad idea.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 00:12
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Can you imagine if you, for example, rec'd an opinion in the debates forum ? The fallout could be being pestered for the rest of your forum life by opponents of the view in question.

Bad idea.
    Just as you would be if you replied agreeing with the opinion in that case.

And that is aginst the TOS anyway.
    3(c) You may not threaten or harass other users of this Service. [presumably that would cover "pestering" as well]

It would make a person think before recommending stupid things, I reckon.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 20:59
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

Bad idea.
    How is this different from someone saying "I agree with you 100%"? In most debates, you can tell who's siding with who, whether recs are involved or not.

Better idea: If you can't stand the fallout, stay out of the nuke testing range. In other words, don't join a heated debate unless you're prepared to take the backlash.
  14. London
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 08:481 edit
    When a post is on the first page of recommended posts list, I think it would be useful if one was able to see who it was recommended by.
    [/b]
    One of the best ideas suggested in this forum! It'd be interesting to see who recs what, especially as we must now use our recommendations so sparingly and think more carefully about which posts we choose to recommend..
    I've often wondered (especially in the Debates Forum) who recs certain posts...
    It'd be great to see this feature implemented..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree