who runs this joint anyway?

who runs this joint anyway?

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Feb 14

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum to post this question to, but here goes: who decides which posts appear under the Recommended Posts rubrik?

PS There are some real gut-busters there (some of them unintended).

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by moonbus
I'm not sure whether this is the right forum to post this question to, but here goes: who decides which posts appear under the Recommended Posts rubrik?

A bot ranks them in order of net positive thumb count.

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
A bot ranks them in order of net positive thumb count.
ACK=1

Thanks for the info, SG.

I see yr rating is creeping up again. Steroids?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 14

ACK=1

Thanks for the info, SG.

I see yr rating is creeping up again. Steroids?
Took a break over the holidays. Resigned a bunch of games.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Feb 14

Took a break over the holidays. Resigned a bunch of games.
You resign games and your rating goes UP? You are indeed the Master of Swindle. I grovel before your pawns.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 Feb 14

You resign games and your rating goes UP? You are indeed the Master of Swindle. I grovel before your pawns.
No, Sherlock. 😕

Australia

Moves
13 Feb 14

After checking out the "recommended" page, I realise what the OP is on about. Practically everything in that page falls into one of two categories:
.... putdown on a GB post - only a few, but the pattern is there;
.... extracted from the Spirituality Forum - almost every other post. Lots and lots and lots.

{sigh}

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 Feb 14

Originally posted by Kewpie
After checking out the "recommended" page, I realise what the OP is on about. Practically everything in that page falls into one of two categories:
.... extracted from the Spirituality Forum - almost every other post. Lots and lots and lots.

{sigh}
Did I not write a hilarious post about dialog boxes to confirm a move?

You try to diversify the rec page, and this is the thanks you get: the word 'practically' gets added in front of 'everything on that pages falls into...' 😛

Über-Nerd

Moves
13 Feb 14

No, Sherlock.
Well, Mycroft, if I find out how to do it myself, I'll clue you in (off list, of course). Cheers, Sherley

Über-Nerd

Moves
13 Feb 14
2 edits

Originally posted by Kewpie

{sigh}
I began to doubt whether a human could read through the masses of posts, much less find time to pick out the best ones. Hence, my question.

There are some very clever people posting frequently to multiple forums, there is some bearbaiting, and there seems to be a cadre who disembarked from the Tardis in the wrong millennium.

Über-Nerd

Moves
13 Feb 14

"Did I not write a hilarious post about dialog boxes to confirm a move?" Indeed you did, my dear Mycroft.

I see two options:

Either a) we repeatedly 'thumbs up' each other's posts to shim the bot, or

b) we thread such hilariously abstruse posts that only Mycroft, Sherley, and Dr. Watson would understand. To blazes with how many net plus hits we get or whether any of it gets onto the Rec.Posts page.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Feb 14

Thumbs Up: Somebody's been entertained, informed, had their curiosity piqued or had a responsive chord struck warranting silent approval. Thumbs Down: Somebody's felt a ping of conscience or been cut along an exposed nerve. Net: Readership.

Über-Nerd

Moves
14 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Thumbs Up: Somebody's been entertained, informed, had their curiosity piqued or had a responsive chord struck warranting silent approval. Thumbs Down: Somebody's felt a ping of conscience or been cut along an exposed nerve. Net: Readership.
Thanks for the info. The Rec.Posts rubric appears to be an automated gauge of popularity, not of profundity. Cheers, Moonbus

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Feb 14

LOL

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Or maybe the Thumber Down just disagrees. I know, hard to believe, but it happens.