1. London
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 13:041 edit
    I would love to be able to view players current 'hot' and 'cold' streaks and perhaps also their best run of wins etc. This could be shown either in simple numbers or, perhaps more relevant to the site name, a simple graphic of a pawn which gets progressively hotter with each win. Over 50 wins in a row could see flames and lots of losses could result in a poor pawn encased in a block of ice!

ps apologies if this has been suggested before, searched site with google and nothing came up...
  2. Riga
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 16:421 edit
    Originally posted by Jeroboam
    I would love to be able to view players current 'hot' and 'cold' streaks and perhaps also their best run of wins etc. This could be shown either in simple numbers or, perhaps more relevant to the site name, a simple graphic of a pawn which gets progressively hotter with each win. Over 50 wins in a row could see flames and lots of losses could result in a po ...[text shortened]... pologies if this has been suggested before, searched site with google and nothing came up...
    Interesting idea! I like it! 🙂
  3. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 01:58
    Originally posted by Jeroboam
    I would love to be able to view players current 'hot' and 'cold' streaks and perhaps also their best run of wins etc. This could be shown either in simple numbers or, perhaps more relevant to the site name, a simple graphic of a pawn which gets progressively hotter with each win. Over 50 wins in a row could see flames and lots of losses could result in a po ...[text shortened]... pologies if this has been suggested before, searched site with google and nothing came up...
    When I first saw your post, I thought it was a very good idea, and it got a rec from me. However, a day or so has passed, and I've thought a bit more about it, and although I wouldn't say that I regret giving the rec, or go as far as to ask for it back, I've come to realise that maybe it's not really such a good idea, even if it is feasible.

How reliable would it be, really? Would a "winning streak" include a player cashing in a load of skulls? Also, players might put off making moves until they've got a string of one-move-to-win's or a bunch of no-hope games that they're just making the other guy play through to the end.

Would bringing an element of "gaming arcade winning streak" mentality really make the site better?
  4. London
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 13:501 edit
    Originally posted by c99ux

How reliable would it be, really? Would a "winning streak" include a player cashing in a load of skulls? Also, players might put off making moves until they've got a string of one-move-to-win's or a bunch of no-hope games that they're just making the other guy play through to the end.
    Many players already click the skull without regard to the opposing player to claim a cheap victory. These kind of players will click the skull regardless of a streak statistic. For them, its the ELO which is most important. Any player who tries to amass a lot of skulls before claiming the wins runs the risk one of their opponent making a move in time, which can only be a good thing.
    As for players delaying games they cannot win, Im sure that just about everyone who has played on this site for a reasonable period of time has already experienced this sort of behaviour.

I believe that by introducing a streak stat, it may actually cut down on players delaying losses. Lets imagine I'm playing 3 end-games, 2 of which i am guarenteed victory(AB) and 1 defeat(C). I have a streak of 10 wins.

1) Delay the loss - claim my wins(AB) instead, streak up to 12 but then lose 3rd game(C) and streak back to 0.
    2) Resign the loss(C) - streak down to 0 but then claim my wins(AB) and streak up to 2.

A streak stat would therefore encourage players to get the losses out of the way so they can concentrate on building up their streaks again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree