1. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 22:511 edit
    While slowly climbing the various ladders, the end of every challenge leaves me eager to line up the next to get another rung underway. More often than not the desirable challenges several spots higher are already defending and i end up making an unfair or undesirable challenge to keep moving. That's my fault, granted. However, the frustration arises when the defender then takes days to play his first move and get the game underway. Even worse, a more desirable challenge presents itself which I'm then unable to take on...
    What I propose is the facility to withdraw the challenge if it has not yet started or fewer than 2 moves have been played (as per open invites). Of course this would only be possible for challenge games - not defence games.
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 01:14
    This seems like an obvious improvement to me. What I have found is that at least one player takes as much time as possible in the games where they are challenged. I resigned against one player in the 7 day ladder after he had not made a single move for several days, yet continued to move rapidly in the ladder game where he was the challenger. I noticed the same player put out his vacation flag in the 3 day ladder against another player when he faced mate in one, and continued to move in his other games (and delayed the opponent's win for several weeks). Even so I challenged this player in the 3 day ladder and had to wait for him to exhaust all his playing time, timebank etc before I eventually won. You get a good idea about the enthusiasm of the player to accept the challenge by the rapidity of his first move, compared to his moves in other games (including the same ladder). I made the same suggestion myself about a year ago and was shot down. The only valid criticism was that a player could withdraw a challenge if he did not get the colour he wanted. the remaining criticisms were a little silly for my level of play at the time "the player could be researching my previous games". For my level of play that was a waste of time.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 06:06
    I think that if you make a challenge, the other player gets all the time allowed according to the rules. The challengers have no idea what is going on with the other player. As to those who sit on lost positions presumably hoping to bump their ratings by a few vapor points, i agree, they are annoying. Unfortunately, that's how it goes.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 09:12
    Why do people moan about their opponents using the agreed time? 🙄

If the player fails to move within the agreed limits then time them out.

If the player moves within the agreed time limits, albeit slower than what you want them to move, then tough on you.

If you know that a potential opponent is a slow player and they are all that is availble to challenge then DON'T CHALLENGE THEM. A more suitable opponent will appear soon enough.
  5. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '11 12:221 edit
    First of all, I was making a suggestion not moaning. 😛
    Second, I don't have a problem with people using the alloted time in which to make their move. There is however a period between issuing a challenge and the game commencing which appears to be in addition to the alloted time. If neither player moves, this is 2 days for tournament games. I assume it's the same for ladders - perhaps the period could be documented in the ladder help pages?
    So, to clarify my suggestion - for those whose 'moan radar' obscures the imagination - when the game state is 'Not started' and your opponent's timebank is not depleting, how about having the ability to withdraw the challenge so as to challenge someone else?

Andy

P.S. How likely is it that anyone would:

(a) know who is a 'slow player'?
    (b) go ahead and challenge them if all they wanted was a fast game??

But top advice all the same...
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Aug '11 12:311 edit
    Originally posted by Andrew Diniz
    First of all, I was making a suggestion not moaning. 😛
    Second, I don't have a problem with people using the alloted time in which to make their move. There is however a period between issuing a challenge and the game commencing (if neither player moves) which appears to be [b]in addition to
    the alloted time. This is 2 days for tournament games. I ng, how about having the ability to withdraw the challenge so as to challenge someone else?[/b]
    From Help : ladders

All ladder games are played as rated games and cannot be deleted, only resigned.
  7. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '11 12:57
    Originally posted by adramforall
    From Help : ladders

All ladder games are played as [b]rated games and cannot be deleted, only resigned.
    [/b]
    Very constructive.

I am aware of the current situation which is why I'm suggesting an enhancement.
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 01:28
    Originally posted by Andrew Diniz
    Very constructive.

I am aware of the current situation which is why I'm suggesting an enhancement.
    While it doesn't shown on the game itself, time is ticking away "beneath the waves"

Thread 126255

As such, once the time and timebank have been exhausted the skull will appear allowing the timeout to be taken. If the player doesn't take the timeout they will get the auto timeout win two days later.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 23:56
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Why do people moan about their opponents using the agreed time? 🙄

If the player fails to move within the agreed limits then time them out.

If the player moves within the agreed time limits, albeit slower than what you want them to move, then tough on you.

If you know that a potential opponent is a slow player and they are all that is availble ...[text shortened]... challenge then [b]DON'T CHALLENGE THEM
    . A more suitable opponent will appear soon enough.[/b]
    the two people who put the thumbs down on this post are idiots.
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 01:16
    Originally posted by trev33
    the two people who put the thumbs down on this post are idiots.
    It's now three and they obviously don't like your post either 😛

Sad individuals
  11. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 10:592 edits
    It is taking me years to move up the ladders. Just enjoy the path is the only approach to stay out of frustration.
    (I have proposed other solutions in the past, with a wider challenge range outside the top 100 for example.)

What you can do is check the candidate opponents' activity and move cadence through their profile.
    You can also wait for other games to finish in order to put a more efficient challenge.
    There are ways to look ahead. But once a game is started, it should stand.

Hopping from a started game to more 'desirable' opponents just looks bad to me. Patience is part of the experience here. All in the game yo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree