Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 30 Mar '07 10:22 / 1 edit
    Perhaps it is time to consider making the forums accessible to those who have 20 games? The help section could be open to genuine newbies but for those who want to spam us they have to play before sharing their links.

Whilst this site gets lower drive by posters and spammers compared to other sites, its still annoying to see people signing on just to spam the forum. It is also curios how people with move=0 sign up just to agrree with a viewpoint.
  2. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    30 Mar '07 12:06
    Originally posted by z00t
    Perhaps it is time to consider making the forums accessible to those who have 20 games? The help section could be open to genuine newbies but for those who want to spam us they have to play before sharing their links.

Whilst this site gets lower drive by posters and spammers compared to other sites, its still annoying to see people signing on just to spam the forum. It is also curios how people with move=0 sign up just to agrree with a viewpoint.
    Spammers like people who re-post their rubbish ideas and hope no one remembers!
  3. 30 Mar '07 12:45
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Spammers like people who re-post their rubbish ideas and hope no one remembers!
    Spammers like those making posts driving people to site x or y on the internet. Interestingly some people coincidentally sign up just to support the controversial viewpoint. This is simple enough for you to understand.
  4. 03 Apr '07 20:22
    I see that spamming is actually against the TOS (section 6), seeing a thread in the General Forum was removed because of that.
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    03 Apr '07 20:48
    Phlab is right, this is a crappy idea that's been suggested so many crapping times I'm about to lose my mind.
  6. 03 Apr '07 21:07

What if (a genuine, checked out) Kasparov wanted to share his wisdom in the forums, but not actually play? Or Noam Chomsky, for that matter?

Would you point them to the help forum?
  7. 03 Apr '07 21:19
    Originally posted by dottewell
    What if (a genuine, checked out) Kasparov wanted to share his wisdom in the forums, but not actually play? Or Noam Chomsky, for that matter?

Would you point them to the help forum?
    How about Alexander Alekhine?
  8. 03 Apr '07 21:37
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Phlab is right, this is a crappy idea that's been suggested so many crapping times I'm about to lose my mind.
    The Queen of Sheeba is more likely to turn up than Kasparov. Meanwhile we have to put up with people who sign up just to spam the forums.
  9. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    03 Apr '07 23:38
    The Queen of Sheeba is more likely to turn up than Kasparov. Meanwhile we have to put up with people who sign up just to spam the forums.
    How does that relate to your crappy idea at all?
  10. 04 Apr '07 09:46 / 1 edit
    It's an extreme example to make a general point.

It doesn't have to be Kasparov or Chomsky; it could just be someone more interesting that you.
  11. 07 Apr '07 16:17
    Originally posted by dottewell
    It's an extreme example to make a general point.

It doesn't have to be Kasparov or Chomsky; it could just be someone more interesting that you.
    I've never seen any "real" Grandmaster signing up to forums when they have better things to do. Why do you think the likes of Short, Seirawan etc are at PlayChess but not RHP or GameKnot?

To keep the forums open because a GM could come is showing ignorance of the highest magnitude. You could close the forums but have non-playing GMs contact the admin if they wanted special access.

Its not rocket science its simple logic.