1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 06:31
    Eid al-Adha, also called the "Sacrifice Feast", is the second of two Muslim holidays celebrated worldwide each year, and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son Ismaeel, as an act of obedience to God's command. Before he sacrificed his son, God intervened by sending his angel Gabriel, who then put a ram in his son's place. In commemoration of this, an animal is sacrificed and divided into three parts: one third of the share is given to the poor and needy; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; and the remaining third is retained by the family. [wiki]

Here in Ondonesia, we have already received our gift of mutton. The poor goat involved was scuffling about, alive and well, near my front gate last night when I got home from work.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 08:40
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Eid al-Adha, also called the "Sacrifice Feast", is the second of two Muslim holidays celebrated worldwide each year, and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son Ismaeel, as an act of obedience to God's command. Before he sacrificed his son, God intervened by sending his angel Gabriel, who then put a ram in his ...[text shortened]... ed was scuffling about, alive and well, near my front gate last night when I got home from work.
    Are people permitted to slaughter the animals themselves?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 12:34
    And I assume that this fairy-tale about a supposed attempted sacrifice of Ishmael is in the Qur'an?

Care to give a reference as to where in the Qur'an this section can be found?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 12:44
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    And I assume that this fairy-tale about a supposed attempted sacrifice of Ishmael is in the Qur'an?

Care to give a reference as to where in the Qur'an this section can be found?
    You can just go look it up if your interest is genuine, Suzianne. The Quran is searchable just like the Bible.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 12:47
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Are people permitted to slaughter the animals themselves?
    Where I live someone in the neighbourhood who's a dab hand does it because he knows how to do it so it's not haram with the blood draining and all that.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 12:55
    You can just go look it up if your interest is genuine, Suzianne. The Quran is searchable just like the Bible.
    It appears that this occurs at (37:100-107).
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 13:00
    I thought you objected strongly to people referring to stories from holy scriptures as "fairy tales"?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 19:48
    I thought you objected strongly to people referring to stories from holy scriptures as "fairy tales"?
    Suzianne objects to anything which contradicts her pinhole view of how the red hot pawn spiritually forum should operate.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 20:46
    Tell me why they are 'holy'?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '17 20:51
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    This is FMF you are asking this of, right?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 01:18
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Pretty much all religious texts - as far as I am aware - are perceived as "holy" by whichever groups believe in them. And that's what being "holy" amounts to: it's a kind of aura or a significance generated by the perception and reverence of the various religions' adherents.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 13:40
    Suzianne objects to anything which contradicts her pinhole view of how the red hot pawn spiritually forum should operate.
    The irony is strong in this one. I do not routinely unceasingly attack posters merely for disagreeing with me. I might say my bit, but then I'm done, I don't rail them into the ground and follow them around hounding them until they want to leave the site.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 13:43
    When those supposed "holy" scriptures directly lie about and misrepresent an event clearly related in my holy scriptures, yeah, I take exception.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 13:45
    This is FMF you are asking this of, right?
    So he gets a pass?

I've never heard you defend the Bible to sonhouse, either.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 14:04
    When those supposed "holy" scriptures directly lie about and misrepresent an event clearly related in my holy scriptures, yeah, I take exception.
    You think the story ~ about the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son to demonstrate his obedience to God's command ~ is a "lie"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree