1. Joined
    08 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 16:00
    The Ancient Mayans had an astrological Calendar. This is a 5000 year Calendar, which ends on DEC 22, 2012 AD. Many believe this date is DOOMSDAY, a Day of Great Global Catatclysm
    Planet X or Nibiru is expected to cross our solar system once in every 3000+ years. This previous meetings were believed to be the cause of the disappearance of the dinosaurs and submerging of Atlantis. It is also believed that this planet will be visible to the naked eye from 2010 as a red dot. The notion is that due to the close proximity of its approach to Earth, there could be geo-magnetic changes resulting in widespread catastrophic climatic changes and a tilt in the Earth's axis. There is also a mention of the Earth stopping spinning for 3 days (which is absolute rubbish). We do have countless theories predicting doomsday, none of which have come true till date. This could be just one of them, or this could be just an exaggerated version of a passing by comet/planet/meteor. The weak link in this theory is that a planet belonging to one particular solar system will never intercross the path of another planet belonging to a different solar system. The distances are just too far apart. If at all anything has to hit the Earth or pass by, it has to be a meteor or a comet. These sort of phenomena just fuel up the imagination of fanatics who like to believe in this sort of stuff. Ultimately, we could just see a comet pass by at a distance in the year 2012 December. So much for Nibiru!!!
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 00:50
    Originally posted by rebus65
    The Ancient Mayans had an astrological Calendar. This is a 5000 year Calendar, which ends on DEC 22, 2012 AD. Many believe this date is DOOMSDAY, a Day of Great Global Catatclysm
    Planet X or Nibiru is expected to cross our solar system once in every 3000+ years. This previous meetings were believed to be the cause of the disappearance of the dinosaurs and s ...[text shortened]... e could just see a comet pass by at a distance in the year 2012 December. So much for Nibiru!!!
    The Bible says that everyone living at the time of Jesus' return will see Him come as lightning flashing across the sky.

Imagine the look in the eyes of those that denied His existence.

Mt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:14
    [edit] Refutation
    In this age we are approaching the same count again, only there is a common misconception of the Maya's practice of abbreviating their dates to five vigesimal places. According to the Maya there will be a baktun ending in 2012, a significant event being the end of the 13th 394 year period, but not the end of the world.[10]

[edit] Inscriptions beyond 2012
    Maya stela occasionally show dates beyond 2012. Most of these are in the form of "distance dates", where a Long Count date is given with a distance date to be added. For example, on the Tablet of Inscriptions from Palenque the following Long Count date was found: 9.8.9.13.0 8 Ahau 13 Pop (24 March 603 Gregorian) with a distance date of 10.11.10.5.8. The resulting date is given as 1.0.0.0.0.8 5 Lamat 1 Mol,[11] or 21 October 4772 – almost 3,000 years into the future. The king Pacal of Palenque predicted that on this date the eightieth Calendar Round anniversary of his accession will be celebrated, suggesting he did not believe the world would end in 2012.[12]

[edit] Summary
    Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbrath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.[13]

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar#Refutation
  4. Joined
    27 Oct '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '08 21:061 edit
    as far as doomsday is concerned, man can do this all by himself we'll probably destroy ourselves before any external influence help our miserable existence to do it!

as far as some meteorite or whatever bumping into us, i highly doubt it. our world government can use this to create some global conspiracy to enslave the entire planet. by the time we realize what's going on, some fascist world government will have already taken over. What do we think that puppet hitler was in power for! they gave him parkinsons (genetic disorder) so they can control this dumb puppet. think about it!
  5. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    22 Mar '08 21:18
    The prophet Nostradamus predicted the same - 2012.
    He also foretold the coming of three antichrists.

They have been analysed to be first Napoleon, second, Hitler, and the last one - Bin Laden.

He predicted that man who finds himself will be saved during this time.

I sure hope the mayans and nostradamus are wrong ! But you know...with mankinds growing apathy to nuclear warfare...its unfortunately possible. :'(
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    22 Mar '08 21:294 edits
    For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle. This shows...how low mankind's civilization has gone. Man fears this end today. They...the Mayan's...rejoiced - the Native Americans....these cultures were untainted (and Japan) and they enjoyed life. It is said that Japan lived so richly, that its handgun was banned...being too "crude." Switzerland, Finland - enjoy the highest standards of living. They are also neutral in warfare.

In WWII, Americans spit on Japanese culture - claiming they raped the Chinese (which is true). They claim "we must stop the Japanese and spread our American principles." The Japanese are doing just what we did - spreading their beliefs - we did the SAME THING TO THE native Americans.

White Americans in the 1900s...banned a "Black Christ" painting. They call it crude. But...isn't it widely believed He was born nowhere near Europe - but rather - in Jerusalem...so...he's more likely black than white...?

Mankind can be, in my opinion, inherently arrogant and evil. The innocence you see in children marks what was of the Mayan and Indian cultures. I believe that to find oneself, they must go beyond what we call "civilization." Finding the Truths are more important than the truths.

YouTube
    This is a good song for my post I believe...
  7. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    23 Mar '08 02:16
    Originally posted by Ramned

They have been analysed to be first Napoleon, second, Hitler, and the last one - Bin Laden.

...... :'(
    Can you take someone who made so many predictions seriously?

Nearly all of his predictions are bland enough that it would be extremely easy to apply to several different scenarios and situations.

I don't think this guy is worth any attention.
  8. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 19:31
    Nah, I don't lead a very spiritual life, but was posting what I saw.
    On the other side, I meant what I said about human nature in civilization.
  9. England
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 12:09
    2010- 2012 are bum i knew i would not get my pension
  10. Standard memberAimi
    The Iceman Cometh
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 13:01

I sure hope the mayans and nostradamus are wrong ! But you know...with mankinds growing apathy to nuclear warfare...its unfortunately possible. :'(
    I remember the same old rubbish being said for the year 1999. I guess the nostradamus interpreters changed their minds.
  11. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 21:14
    Originally posted by Aimi
    I remember the same old rubbish being said for the year 1999. I guess the nostradamus interpreters changed their minds.
    Goes to show how paranoid mankind can be.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 10:33
    Goes to show how paranoid mankind can be.
    Its a version of Pascal's Wager.
    1. An individual hears a rumor that some terrible calamity is going to take place.
    2. The individual judges that because the calamity is so terrible, the minuscule probability that it may actually take place (ie that the rumor is true) is offset (magnified) by the enormity of the calamity.
    3. The individual although not necessarily putting full faith in the rumor takes some precautionary measures.

I think this phenomena explains a certain amount of religiosity as well as common paranoia regarding end of the world scenarios.
    Also people feed of this phenomena by intentionally spreading the initial rumors for their own personal benefit. And by personal benefit I do not mean purely monetary, sometimes it is as simple as the desire for recognition or as complex as the desire to get other people to join your religion.
  13. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 22:34
    Originally posted by rebus65
    Planet X or Nibiru is expected to cross our solar system once in every 3000+ years. This previous meetings were believed to be the cause of the disappearance of the dinosaurs and s ...[text shortened]... e could just see a comet pass by at a distance in the year 2012 December. So much for Nibiru!!!
    According to this weeks "Skeptoid" podcast, Nibiru was supposed to pass in 2003, but it didn't so the Nibiru nuts latched onto the 2012 craze. Incidentally, the same podcast makes a very good point about how if the mayans were around today, they'd just be keeping a bottle of champagne handy like we all did for the 2000 celebration. This is numbers on a clock, nothing more which is demonstrable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree