1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 00:091 edit
    I went to a conference today in which I was a panel speaker. On the panel was myself, an African American who belongs to the United Church of Christ, a rabbi, a priest , and a minister from the Metropilitan Community Church which is a church that ministers to gays and lesbians, though they have members who are straight as well. During the question and answer time a Muslim came to the microphone and wanted to "ask some questions". He never got around to asking a question but kept preaching about how we did not adhre to the original tenets of our religion. I later learned that he was schizophrenic and probably picked up his religion while in prison, but it was truly hilarious for me to hear the minister from the Metropolitan Community Church come down and tell him that he just didn't understand what Christianity was all about. Priceless. Listen up, Ted Haggard, you could learn something.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 06:22
    This thread was titled a moment of Zen. I thought we'd get an interesting koan to meditate on.

Where was the Zen moment?
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 11:45
    Originally posted by jaywill
    This thread was titled a moment of Zen. I thought we'd get an interesting koan to meditate on.

Where was the Zen moment?
    It was for those with ears to hear.
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 14:10
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    It was for those with ears to hear.
    LOL! You wish.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 22:56
    Originally posted by jaywill
    LOL! You wish.
    OK, let me explain, that ye may have faith. I used the term "moment of Zen" in the same way Jon Stewart of the Daily Show uses it. Sort of a moment of interest or irony. I thought it rather funny and ironic that a lesbian was helping a Muslim find Jesus.

I hope that helped. You just can't go through life being so damn literal.
  6. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 23:42
    I went to a conference today in which I was a panel speaker. On the panel was myself, an African American who belongs to the United Church of Christ, a rabbi, a priest , and a minister from the Metropilitan Community Church which is a church that ministers to gays and lesbians, though they have members who are straight as well. During the question and a ...[text shortened]... t Christianity was all about. Priceless. Listen up, Ted Haggard, you could learn something.
    Reminds me of the Hindu, the Jew and the Christian joke.
    Which I ain't telling.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 00:50
    OK, let me explain, that ye may have faith. I used the term "moment of Zen" in the same way Jon Stewart of the Daily Show uses it. Sort of a moment of interest or irony. I thought it rather funny and ironic that a lesbian was helping a Muslim find Jesus.
    I am a bit lost. What's ironic about a lesbian helping a Muslim find Jesus?
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 01:03
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I am a bit lost. What's ironic about a lesbian helping a Muslim find Jesus?
    You're right. You are lost.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 01:13
    You're right. You are lost.
    Well, that was helpful.

Did you think it was ironic because many Christians are against homosexuality?
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 01:24
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Well, that was helpful.

Did you think it was ironic because many Christians are against homosexuality?
    You got it! I knew you weren't lost, really.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 01:37
    You got it! I knew you weren't lost, really.
    Well, living in a country where more than half of the priests of the state church don't think there's anything wrong with homosexuality, it just didn't sound very ironic to me.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 03:37

I hope that helped. You just can't go through life being so damn literal.
    Thanks for the explanation.

I guess I just got lost. See? You try to lighten up with some humor and this is what you get.

No justice. I tell you.
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 03:491 edit
    Okay, Here's a little Zen humor.

A Zen Buddhist student goes up to a another Zen student selling hot dogs at a hot dog stand. He asks his fellow student at the counter "Make me one with everything!" The salesman laughs and hands him a hot dog dripping with condiments and receives a five dollar bill for the two dollar meal. The buyer awaits some money back and says "Where's my change?" The hot dog man says dryly "Change comes from within."

Now that's a knee slapper boy! That's funny.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 03:561 edit
    Testing 1, 2, 3.
  15. Joined
    23 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:10
    That's pretty good Jaywill. Interesting to see some progress on the old "make me one with everything" line.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree