1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 13:43
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Go outside the box. Though you beg to differ, your responses lead me to believe that you are quite close minded to religion - even as to your concept of what religion is.

What is God? An external entity? The universe in its totality? The essence of truth, love, compassion, justice, etc.? Something else?

Try to focus on the teachings of the prophets ...[text shortened]... m fixated on Christianity. Try Buddhism since you seem to have such an aversion to Christianity.
    Well.. Buddhism is not a religion.. I can identify with most of its teachings.

God is whatever people want it to be. Point is God is purely conceptual.
    I only talk about Christianity because I only see christians here.

I have no problems with an abstract God with a meaning of "all things in the Universe", "the essence of all things", or something like this.
    I have no problems with some teaching of prophets, as long as people filter the sayings.

But I have a problem when I see a big percentage of people with that belief, trying to influence others to their agenda, and taking part of the destiny of my country with those sick arguments.
    Or look at the US, where religion is a so strong influence in a state that should be laique (spelling?).

It's not religion that annoys me. It's ignorance.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 13:48
    Originally posted by vistesd
    To be fair to serigado, it’s not difficult to come to the conclusion that the “G-word” must apply to some external, supernatural entity; and that Buddhism and its like are not religions (or even a “spirituality” ) if they have no such god. You’ve taken your share of hits, too.

I have given up caring whether or not something like Buddhism (or Zen Buddhism ...[text shortened]... e close to counting those who do not use the word in that way on the fingers of one hand.
    It's easy to agree with you.
    I used the G-word with the meaning christianity and cousins has.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 18:51
    Originally posted by serigado
    Well.. Buddhism is not a religion.. I can identify with most of its teachings.

God is whatever people want it to be. Point is God is purely conceptual.
    I only talk about Christianity because I only see christians here.

I have no problems with an abstract God with a meaning of "all things in the Universe", "the essence of all things", or something lik ...[text shortened]... te that should be laique (spelling?).

It's not religion that annoys me. It's ignorance.
    I'm going to try a different tack here.

You started this thread with the assertion that "Today's science would be rediscovered (maybe with different language or formality), and today's religions would never come up again."

Let's limit the discussion to Christianity, since that seems to be your focus. I see the essence of Christianity as being the teachings of Jesus. It's difficult for me to imagine that the essence of the teachings of Jesus would not be manifested in one form or another. Its seems to me that the essence of his teachings are as absolute, eternal and rooted in reality as anything in science.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 19:46
    I'm going to try a different tack here.

You started this thread with the assertion that "Today's science would be rediscovered (maybe with different language or formality), and today's religions would never come up again."

Let's limit the discussion to Christianity, since that seems to be your focus. I see the essence of Christianity as being the te ...[text shortened]... e of his teachings are as absolute, eternal and rooted in reality as anything in science.
    Hmm... I see..
    So the teachings of Jesus are independent of Jesus. Jesus just came here to remind us the right way.

But Jesus wasn't the first one to come with that philosophy of life. Most of it is just common sense.
    Maybe the teachings would come again, I agree with you. But maybe not in the form of a religion: maybe in the form of a philosophy.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 20:171 edit
    Hmm... I see..
    So the teachings of Jesus are independent of Jesus. Jesus just came here to remind us the right way.

But Jesus wasn't the first one to come with that philosophy of life. Most of it is just common sense.
    Maybe the teachings would come again, I agree with you. But maybe not in the form of a religion: maybe in the form of a philosophy.
    I'd be surprised if it didn't come back again in both religions (however you want to define that) and philosophies. Though I'd have to say that philosophy has yet to come to terms with the depth of it.

It may be 'common sense', but mankind has yet to have adopted the teachings. It seems like an extremely small percentage ever have. People may be aware of them, but very few actually believe in them.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 20:41
    I'd be surprised if it didn't come back again in both religions (however you want to define that) and philosophies.

It may be 'common sense', but mankind has yet to have adopted the teachings. It seems like an extremely small percentage ever have. People may be aware of them, but very few actually believe in them.
    And how ab out cosmogonies and anthropogonies (does this word exist? - I want to say origin of men) - both in science and religions?
    I think they wouldn't be the same. (not even for science).
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 21:31
    And how ab out cosmogonies and anthropogonies (does this word exist? - I want to say origin of men) - both in science and religions?
    I think they wouldn't be the same. (not even for science).
    I think we both know that there'd likely be variations of "God did it." Only the packaging would differ.
  8. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 22:13
    I'd be surprised if it didn't come back again in both religions (however you want to define that) and philosophies. Though I'd have to say that philosophy has yet to come to terms with the depth of it.

It may be 'common sense', but mankind has yet to have adopted the teachings. It seems like an extremely small percentage ever have. People may be aware of them, but very few actually believe in them.---ToO----

Do you ? Are you one of the "few"? Have you overcome?
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 15:53
    Buddhism is not a religion.. I can identify with most of its teachings.
    Interesting statement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree