1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 12:023 edits
    Originally posted by serigado
    Good post, I subscribe your opinion.
    But there's one point.
    God is not incoherent with the real world. (at least the abstract God). So, it remains the argument
    "If I have no evidence, I'll stick with the simplest explanation -> No God"

But to religious guys there's evidence: The Bible, the feelings they have, the perplexity towards the complexity and ...[text shortened]... u name it. Of course all this evidence can be disputed, and that's where opinions diverge.
    :'(:'(:'(

These are not tears of pain, rather, they are tears of joy. You do not know how long I have longed to hear an atheist say that we have differing "opinions" instead of being dragged through the mud by having them say I am stupid and/or delusional. You see, one need not disrespect anothers view point to thereby lower their view point in order to elevate their own view, or at least, that is the message I think you are trying to send here.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 12:04
    Originally posted by agryson
    I would call myself a liberal. It is something, it describes a whole range of my views at once. there is an identity one can put with being called a liberal. There is no identity you can put with a word like atheist.
    Yes, but if you were running for political office using either term atheist or liberal would be suicidal. Why do you think this is?
  3. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 14:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, but if you were running for political office using either term atheist or liberal would be suicidal. Why do you think this is?
    Both would probably help where I'm from. As for the US, I'd imagine because the US is quite a right wing country by comparison to many others. Hence there is still a huge stigma attached to being a politician who is liberal (seen as weakness for some reason) atheist (if he doesn't believe in God he's obviously into eating babies instead of kissing them).
    Other examples include homosexuality, being anti death penalty or anti guns etc. It's simply a reflection of the political landscape of America, but there's nothing inherently wrong with being either liberal or atheistic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree