1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 05:00
    Originally posted by josephw
    You have completely missed the point of my post.
    Not so. Something in answer to the OP would be more interesting.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 05:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not so. Something in answer to the OP would be more interesting.
    Do you ever sleep? lol

"If it turns out that the universe is crammed full of countless millions of planets inhabited with all manner of life forms comparable with human beings, complete with their heterogeneous spiritual beliefs, how will the holy scriptures of the three Abrahamic religions measure up in terms of having accommodated such a reality/discovery?"

"If" this scenario were true I would assume that the God of the universe would plant His Word on every planet in existence. And "if" the beings that occupied those planets had to contend with the adversary as we do, then there would exist the same obstacles to the truth there as here.

"And also, how will the holy scriptures of the three Abrahamic religions measure up against the religions on other planets if they are not based on Hebrew folklore or do not share any of the key tenets of the Abrahamic religions and yet profess that their adherents have been created by a 'divine being' dissimilar to the Abrahamic God figure?"

The same God would be the creator for both them and us as God is the creator of all that exists. There is 'all that exists', and there is only one creator of 'all that exists', so a "dissimilar" "divine being" isn't an option.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 06:02
    Do you ever sleep? lol
    I live in a different time zone from you.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 06:12
    The same God would be the creator for both them and us as God is the creator of all that exists. There is 'all that exists', and there is only one creator of 'all that exists', so a "dissimilar" "divine being" isn't an option.
    Well there are dissimilar concepts of a "divine being" here on earth so I don't quite see how there being different concepts of a "divine being" across countless millions of planets "isn't an option". Do you think the holy scriptures (of the Abrahamic religions) will be able to accommodate the heterogeneous spiritual beliefs and folklores across the universe if that's what turns out to be the reality? For instance, assuming that there are inhabitants elsewhere in the universe, would you assume that Jesus rising from the dead here on earth, as Christians believe he did, will apply to all those other species and races too?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 06:15
    "If" this scenario were true I would assume that the God of the universe would plant His Word on every planet in existence.
    As a Christian, would you believe that Jesus would have had to be executed on all the countless millions of inhabited planets in the universe or would you expect the lifeforms on all those planets to look to earth to see how your God figure revealed Himself to the universe?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 06:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    As a Christian, would you believe that Jesus would have had to be executed on all the countless millions of inhabited planets in the universe or would you expect the lifeforms on all those planets to look to earth to see how your God figure revealed Himself to the universe?
    Keep it up guys, this is good.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 12:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    I live in a different time zone from you.
    Now that just takes all the fun out of it.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 12:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well there are dissimilar concepts of a "divine being" here on earth so I don't quite see how there being different concepts of a "divine being" across countless millions of planets "isn't an option". Do you think the holy scriptures (of the Abrahamic religions) will be able to accommodate the heterogeneous spiritual beliefs and folklores across the universe if ...[text shortened]... ere on earth, as Christians believe he did, will apply to all those other species and races too?
    "Well there are dissimilar concepts of a "divine being" here on earth so I don't quite see how there being different concepts of a "divine being" across countless millions of planets "isn't an option"."

It's not really an option because this is all just hypothesizing. I'll go along with it for the sake of the discussion, but I don't need to get bogged down on a rabbit trail.
    There is a reason why there are "dissimilar" concepts of God. Logically, any concept of God that can be known must needs be given to any other by God, otherwise what one may think about God would be false. That's the reason for the dissimilarity of who and what God is here on earth. Therefore the same truth would have to apply across the universe.

"Do you think the holy scriptures (of the Abrahamic religions) will be able to accommodate the heterogeneous spiritual beliefs and folklores across the universe if that's what turns out to be the reality?"

All life in the universe is subject to the Word of God, which is what defines life no matter where it exists.

"For instance, assuming that there are inhabitants elsewhere in the universe, would you assume that Jesus rising from the dead here on earth, as Christians believe he did, will apply to all those other species and races too?"

Yes. Assuming that the inhabitants of other planets suffer from the same demise, i.e. sin.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 12:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    No to both points.

Since this is all just a mental exercise in fictional hypothesizing: the idea that Jesus would have to subject Himself to crucifixion millions of times is repulsive, and therefore excludes the possibility of giving further credence to the unknown.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 13:28
    No to both points.

Since this is all just a mental exercise in fictional hypothesizing: the idea that Jesus would have to subject Himself to crucifixion millions of times is repulsive, and therefore excludes the possibility of giving further credence to the unknown.
    Once is not repulsive??
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 13:43
    No to both points.

But does it follow logically from the hypothetical premises? If so, does it being repulsive justify changing the premises? Which ones lose credence? Are we unnecessarily assuming that Christ would have to be incarnated at each planet where there is sin? OTOH, if ours is the one where it happened, we are rather special, aren't we.
  12. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    29 Sep '14 16:15
    Originally posted by FMF

If it turns out that the universe is crammed full of countless millions of planets inhabited with all manner of life forms comparable with human beings, complete with their heterogeneous spiritual beliefs, how will the holy scriptures of the three Abrahamic religions measure up in terms of having accommodated such a etc.

"And also, how will the holy scriptures of the three Abrahamic religions measure up against the religions on other planets if they are not based on Hebrew folklore or do not share any of the key tenets of the Abrahamic religions and yet profess that their adherents have been created by a 'divine being' dissimilar to the Abrahamic God figure?"

Actually, your scenario is not at all far fetched. Allow me to simplify it a bit.

Why do your postulated "millions of different civilizations" have to be separated by light years of space - why not consider an exactly similar situation that HAS in reality already occurred?

I am referring, of course, to the various, and multiple, civilizations and people-groups that have developed on this very same planet, only separated in time and space from each other.

So the Chinese, for example, and the Indians (Hindu) and the Mayans, and the tribes in Africa, etc etc , have developed their own belief systems, independent of the Abrahamic religions. What makes it different if these had developed on another planet?

If we postulate a god that "revealed himself" to the people on the Middle East, and not to those in Timbuktu, what is the difference between Timbuktu and Andorra?
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    30 Sep '14 06:22
    OK IF I argue this from the point of the Abrahamic scriptures (The Jewish Torah / writings & Christian writings ) Then there is one God who created the universe and all that is in it. I would believe that He would reveal himself to other worlds and even if those beings and worlds had not fallen they would still be aware of the our condition and the affects of the fall as Paul states somewhere in the new testament the whole creation groans to be set free !! I would think they would be keenly aware of our condition. As far as what Jesus did on the cross this was a one time event for all ...and for all time....and the weight of the cross also affects the whole of creation ...maybe we are the quarantined planet

Manny
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    30 Sep '14 06:37
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Silent_Planet

sounds ahead of its time

Manny
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '14 21:581 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    OK IF I argue this from the point of the Abrahamic scriptures (The Jewish Torah / writings & Christian writings ) Then there is one God who created the universe and all that is in it. I would believe that He would reveal himself to other worlds and even if those beings and worlds had not fallen they would still be aware of the our condition and the affects ...[text shortened]... f the cross also affects the whole of creation ...maybe we are the quarantined planet

Manny
    From that perspective, the idea of a universe having many planets where God has created beings capable of salvation, while at the same time, creating only one planet where Christ became incarnate and atoned for their sin, is consistent with the Bible in a way. In the same way that the faith was supposed (in Matthew) to be spread to people in lands on earth where those people were ignorant of it, it is supposed to be spread to people on other planets if and when we encounter them. It may also be considered as a motivation for SETI.

One issue is going to be the recognition of the strange beings we encounter as "people" but that happened on this planet, too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree