1. Solaris
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 13:23
    Is so much fun. If someone doesn't belive,it's his thing. But all those who try to convince the rest... goodness. It is like someone,who would sign to RHP forum,and will try to convince us that chess i such a waste of time,and that we shall go playing scrabbles. 😕
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 13:46
    Originally posted by Choreant
    Is so much fun. If someone doesn't belive,it's his thing. But all those who try to convince the rest... goodness. It is like someone,who would sign to RHP forum,and will try to convince us that chess i such a waste of time,and that we shall go playing scrabbles. 😕
    When they start introducing Chess in public schools as a better explanation of observed life forms than the Theory of Evolution then yes I will start trying to actively convince people to play scrabble instead.
    You analogy assumes that the practices of theists has no impact on the lives of atheists which you know is false.
    You also don't deal with the fact that most theists try to convince others of their beliefs which is an equivalent practice to the one you seem to despise.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 16:26
    I'm afraid I don't quite see how your analogy applies.
  4. Solaris
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:03
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm afraid I don't quite see how your analogy applies.
    It's quite simple. If you don't like chess,you don't sign for a chess site,and keep trying to convince everyone playing there,that chess are stupid. You let them be... The same is true about belief. But spending time on proving that something,you're sure doesn't exist, or is pointless,REALLY doesn't exist to the people who think the other resembles, telling chess players that they shall pick up scrabbles...
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:32
    It's quite simple. If you don't like chess,you don't sign for a chess site,and keep trying to convince everyone playing there,that chess are stupid. You let them be... The same is true about belief. But spending time on proving that something,you're sure doesn't exist, or is pointless,REALLY doesn't exist to the people who think the other resembles, telling chess players that they shall pick up scrabbles...
    Theists don't have the spiritual market cornered. This is the mistaken assumption you are making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality
  6. Solaris
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:33
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Theists don't have the spiritual market cornered. This is the mistaken assumption you are making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality
    I never said they had.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:562 edits
    I never said they had.
    Then I fail to see why you should object to Atheists participating in the forum. In your analogy, atheists are more appropriately viewed as a chess player with a different outlook on the game (think Tarrasch's classicist approach vs. Nimzovich and hypermodernism).
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 17:59
    This IS the spirituality forum, after all. It has been set up specifically for that kind of discussion. So people could argue about spiritual matters. If we were arguing about spirituality in the "sports" forum, then I could see your point.
  9. Solaris
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 18:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Then I fail to see why you should object to Atheists participating in the forum. In your analogy, atheists are more appropriately viewed as a chess player with a different outlook on the game (think Tarrasch's classicist approach vs. Nimzovich and hypermodernism).
    I don't object. I just can't understand. If they really want to they may post here 24h a day.
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 20:32
    I don't object. I just can't understand. If they really want to they may post here 24h a day.
    This is a chess site, and while many of us do play scrabble I'm sure (at least I do), we are here for chess.

This is NOT a theistic site, we aren't arguing against the purpose of the website nor against the majority of the people here, the numbers of vocal theists and vocal atheists seem relativly even in these discussion, at least much more so than in the world in general.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 22:29
    "I just can't understand" Perfect response! 😉
  12. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 04:14
    OK, all of a sudden I got this image of two clean-cut guys going door-to-door promoting atheism. 😕
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 04:28
    Originally posted by reader1107
    OK, all of a sudden I got this image of two clean-cut guys going door-to-door promoting atheism. 😕
    Could I interest you in making an appointment where I can come to your house, and read to you from the good book - "Origin of Species"?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 05:28
    Atheists will not argue against spiritual values except when it comes to having to believe in a god. Atheists may believe we can EVOLVE into godhood but not have a god around RIGHT NOW.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 20:22
    Chess players don't try to limit my freedom via the legal system.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree