1. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 10:081 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Common reference to Einstein's 'Quantum Leap of Faith' which (having exhausted his eyes in the lab and

his mind in a vast computational labyrinth) resulted in his successful discovery of the Theory of Relativity.
    I am afraid its not a reference I am familiar with and seems rather odd too. I thought quantum mechanics came long after relativity. I also thought he came up with the theory whilst working in a patent office.

You need to realize that this is an international site and we have gone through different education systems. What may be a 'common reference' to you, may be unknown to others.

So what 'leap of faith' did he take, and how can it be called a 'sense' in any meaningful way?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 12:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead

I am afraid its not a reference I am familiar with and seems rather odd too. I thought quantum mechanics came long after relativity. I also thought he came up with the theory whilst working in a patent office.

You need to realize that this is an international site and we have gone through different education systems. What may be a 'common reference' to you, ...[text shortened]... hat 'leap of faith' did he take, and how can it be called a 'sense' in any meaningful way?
    So what 'leap of faith' did he take, and how can it be called
    a 'sense' in any meaningful way?

Points of view regarding the only three means of human perception

(observation/empiricism, reasoning/rationalism and leap of faith).
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 13:21
    Points of view regarding the only three [b]means of human perception

(observation/empiricism, reasoning/rationalism and leap of faith).[/b]
    You said that already. It still doesn't make any sense. How can you call a leap of faith, human perception?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 14:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead

You said that already. It still doesn't make any sense. How can you call a leap of faith, human perception?
    One of three means of human perception (even confidence/trust routinely and horizontally

in professors, friends, a romantic partner or spouse... along with observation and reasoning.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 14:49
    Perhaps, Pal, though totally counterintuitive and tangential to our conversation.
    Al looks a bit like AI so I thought this thread was going to be about that.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 14:51
    Originally posted by Palynka

[b]Al looks a bit like AI so I thought this thread was going to be about that.[/b]
    My bad. We're good.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 16:044 edits
    [b]"No I am not familiar with Albert..."

Albert Einstein (1879-1955), of course.

"... and I do not understand the conversational gambit in question."

Points of view regarding the only three means of human perception

(observation/empiricism, reasoning/rationalism and leap of faith).

"It seems that you are like Freaky who ...[text shortened]... ue OP..."

Maybe playful and nuanced, Twhitehead, but never intentionally 'vague'.[/b]
    Maybe playful and nuanced, Twhitehead, but never intentionally 'vague'.

You might want to consider that in your attempts to be "playful and nuanced" you are being "intentionally vague".

You also might want to consider that your "cleverness" most impresses yourself.

EDIT: Looking at the rest of this thread, it's evident that you continue to be "intentionally vague".

Your attempt to pretend that Albert Einstein should have been easily inferred from your OP is ridiculous. That may play with the grandkids, but c'mon.

Perhaps you refrain from stating your points clearly simply because you have little of substance to say.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 21:02
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

[b]Maybe playful and nuanced, Twhitehead, but never intentionally 'vague'.

You might want to consider that in your attempts to be "playful and nuanced" you are being "intentionally vague".

You also might want to consider that your "cleverness" most impresses yourself.

EDIT: Looking at the rest of this thread, it's evident that you continue ...[text shortened]... from stating your points clearly simply because you have little of substance to say.[/b]
    As always, ThinkOfOne, I appreciate the counterpoint of your personal view.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree