1. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    16008
    23 Oct '08 16:33
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    23 Oct '08 16:47
    Originally posted by orangutan
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
    Thank god for atheists!
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    23 Oct '08 18:35
    Originally posted by orangutan
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
    It should be noted that the atheist bus says, "There's probably no God."
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Oct '08 20:56
    Whats interesting in the article is that some theists are totally against it and some are for it.
  5. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    26 Oct '08 14:47
    Originally posted by orangutan
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
    Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

    The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Tokyo, where they were blaring the "Good News" through huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    26 Oct '08 14:55
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

    The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Toky ...[text shortened]... gh huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.
    Churches are allowed to advertise in England, are they not? Bus side advertising space would be one possible venue. If they pursued that, no one would think twice about it.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    26 Oct '08 15:08
    I should try what those Mexican Christians do. Stand with a megaphone and shout on the street corner.
  8. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    26 Oct '08 15:18
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Churches are allowed to advertise in England, are they not? Bus side advertising space would be one possible venue. If they pursued that, no one would think twice about it.
    I don't know the English laws. But even if they are allowed to advertise in any way they like, does it really happen? And if it does, why would no one think twice about it? That sounds highly unlikely.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52612
    26 Oct '08 15:40
    Originally posted by orangutan
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
    Pray for the success of atheism.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    26 Oct '08 15:49
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    [b]Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

    The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Toky ...[text shortened]... ugh huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.[/b
    the only advertising i myself have ever seen, with regard to anything closely related was one advert for 'the alpha course', which i think is a kind of bible course, other than that i never seen anything, the UK is essentially a secular nation, with less than 1% percent of people attending churches. the worst 'religious advertising', i ever come across was in Pakistan, where the call to prayer (played over loudspeakers from the top of mosque minarets all over the country at the same time) would wake you up at a seriously early hour every morning, man i wanted to play 'play that funky music white boy', through those speakers! also, on a PIA (Pakistan international airways) internal flight, before the plane took off, on the back of every seat was a little tv screen, a cloud appeared with the name 'allah', arabic for god above it, the whole plane then proceeded to offer a prayer for the safety of the journey, not very reassuring i can tell ya!
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    26 Oct '08 15:49
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I don't know the English laws. But even if they are allowed to advertise in any way they like, does it really happen? And if it does, why would no one think twice about it? That sounds highly unlikely.
    English religious advertising need not be ubiquitous for the point to remain valid. And the point is not relegated solely to England either. In the US (where religious advertising IS ubiquitous), no one thinks twice about it. Even an atheist like myself. But if someone like the FFRF puts up an "Imagine no religion" billboard, it raises plenty of eyebrows.
  12. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    26 Oct '08 15:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Pray for the success of atheism.
    ummm, actually what has 'atheism', achieved, if i may be so bold to ask?
  13. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    26 Oct '08 16:09
    Originally posted by rwingett
    English religious advertising need not be ubiquitous for the point to remain valid. And the point is not relegated solely to England either. In the US (where religious advertising IS ubiquitous), no one thinks twice about it. Even an atheist like myself. But if someone like the FFRF puts up an "Imagine no religion" billboard, it raises plenty of eyebrows.
    People tend to react to unexpected things. I am pretty sure a religious banner on a bus would get some raised eyebrows here, probably at least as much as a banner from the Humanist Association would. If it's ubiquitous, people stop to react every time they see it, but there will still be people who disagree with the practice and will discuss it from time to time (e.g. here in Norway most people probably don't normally think twice about kindergartens attending a church service before Christmas, but I have heard some heated discussions about the issue among my colleagues).
  14. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    2120
    26 Oct '08 16:531 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ummm, actually what has 'atheism', achieved, if i may be so bold to ask?
    I think a better question would be not what atheism has “achieved” but rather what atheism has thankfully avoided “achieving” -it has thankfully avoided “achieving” senseless superstition and blind faith.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    26 Oct '08 17:081 edit
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I think a better question would be not what atheism has “achieved” but rather what atheism has thankfully avoided “achieving” -it has thankfully avoided “achieving” senseless superstition and blind faith.
    no, this is invalid as you could easily say that truth has done the same thing, (and as you and i are aware, the two are not synonymous), plus many are still following their 'faith', blindly, theists and atheists inclusive, therefore the question is relevant, and i ask it again ' not what has atheism avoided, but rather, 'what has atheism achieved''. it is a simple question, so make with the reddies!
Back to Top