11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '08 20:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Oct '08 20:56
    Whats interesting in the article is that some theists are totally against it and some are for it.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 14:47
    Originally posted by orangutan
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
    Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Tokyo, where they were blaring the "Good News" through huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 14:55
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Toky ...[text shortened]... gh huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.
    Churches are allowed to advertise in England, are they not? Bus side advertising space would be one possible venue. If they pursued that, no one would think twice about it.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 15:08
    I should try what those Mexican Christians do. Stand with a megaphone and shout on the street corner.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 15:18
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Churches are allowed to advertise in England, are they not? Bus side advertising space would be one possible venue. If they pursued that, no one would think twice about it.
    I don't know the English laws. But even if they are allowed to advertise in any way they like, does it really happen? And if it does, why would no one think twice about it? That sounds highly unlikely.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 15:40
    Originally posted by orangutan
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
    Pray for the success of atheism.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 15:49
    [b]Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Toky ...[text shortened]... ugh huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.[/b
    the only advertising i myself have ever seen, with regard to anything closely related was one advert for 'the alpha course', which i think is a kind of bible course, other than that i never seen anything, the UK is essentially a secular nation, with less than 1% percent of people attending churches. the worst 'religious advertising', i ever come across was in Pakistan, where the call to prayer (played over loudspeakers from the top of mosque minarets all over the country at the same time) would wake you up at a seriously early hour every morning, man i wanted to play 'play that funky music white boy', through those speakers! also, on a PIA (Pakistan international airways) internal flight, before the plane took off, on the back of every seat was a little tv screen, a cloud appeared with the name 'allah', arabic for god above it, the whole plane then proceeded to offer a prayer for the safety of the journey, not very reassuring i can tell ya!
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 15:49
    I don't know the English laws. But even if they are allowed to advertise in any way they like, does it really happen? And if it does, why would no one think twice about it? That sounds highly unlikely.
    English religious advertising need not be ubiquitous for the point to remain valid. And the point is not relegated solely to England either. In the US (where religious advertising IS ubiquitous), no one thinks twice about it. Even an atheist like myself. But if someone like the FFRF puts up an "Imagine no religion" billboard, it raises plenty of eyebrows.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 15:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Pray for the success of atheism.
    ummm, actually what has 'atheism', achieved, if i may be so bold to ask?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree