1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 05:48
    dj2becker claimed that getting angry with one's brother was equally as evil as exterminating 6,000,000 Jews.

KellyJay recently claimed that he is equally as evil as a rapist.

Both just posturing and regurgitating their rote-learned moral ideology, I know.

Both perhaps did not really believe what they were saying.

dj2becker was probably actually just telling me that I am equally as evil as an industrial-scale mass murderer... and that's why I need Jesus.

KellyJay was probably actually just telling me that I am equally as evil as a rapist... and that's why I need Jesus.

But what kind moral universe and society does a doctrine that claims 'all immoral acts are equally evil' presuppose or lead to?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 06:40
    @fmf said
    dj2becker claimed that getting angry with one's brother was equally as evil as exterminating 6,000,000 Jews.

KellyJay recently claimed that he is equally as evil as a rapist.

Both just posturing and regurgitating their rote-learned moral ideology, I know.

Both perhaps did not really believe what they were saying.

dj2becker was probably actually just telling me that I ...[text shortened]... e and society does a doctrine that claims 'all immoral acts are equally evil' presuppose or lead to?
    I think if Christians read their Bible a bit more carefully, they wouldn't claim this.

For example, it says that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can't be forgiven. That makes it worse than all those other sins that can.

Perhaps they mean that all sins disqualify one from heaven.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 07:01
    @fmf said
    But what kind moral universe and society does a doctrine that claims 'all immoral acts are equally evil' presuppose or lead to?
    It leads to a mindset where kellyjay will refuse to answer your question on whether or not homosexuals deserve to be executed.

It leads to 16 year Iranian protestor Sonia Sharifi being hung by the neck from a crane for “fighting against God”. She will also most likely be raped beforehand by the Revolutionary Guard.

It leads to a belief that it is morally righteous to torture unbelievers for eternity.

It leads to believing that capturing a US pilot, putting him in a cage and burning him to death is doing Gods will.

Extremist Christian thinking and extremist Islamic thinking lead to exactly the same moral vacuum.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Dec '22 12:041 edit
    @bigdogg said
    I think if Christians read their Bible a bit more carefully, they wouldn't claim this.

For example, it says that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can't be forgiven. That makes it worse than all those other sins that can.

Perhaps they mean that all sins disqualify one from heaven.
    You folks are getting very far off in left field here.

The point Jesus was trying to make when he said spoke in Matthew 5:19 - 5:22 was to illustrate the impossibility of being granted entrance to the kingdom of heaven via our own conduct. Try as we might, we cannot live up to the standard set down in God's law. Only through faith in Jesus, who paid the penalty for our sins, can we saved, and enter heaven.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '22 21:57
    @mchill said

The point Jesus was trying to make when he said spoke in Matthew 5:19 - 5:22 was to illustrate the impossibility of being granted entrance to the kingdom of heaven via our own conduct. Try as we might, we cannot live up to the standard set down in God's law. Only through faith in Jesus, who paid the penalty for our sins, can we saved, and enter heaven.
    So, is it correct to say that getting angry with one's brother is equally as evil as exterminating 6,000,000 Jews?
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 01:45
    @mchill said

I don't care what you think the point "should" be, nor about your "correct" way to read a certain passage. Neither do I care that we're on a tangent in your eyes. So what? It's a tangent some of us found interesting, and it's in a thread of its own, so there's absolutely no problem with it.

Please keep your tiresome evangelical cliches out of the thread.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 21:322 edits
    @mchill said

You lost me there. Jesus said in the passage you quoted:

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. (Matthew 5:19-22 KJV)

You say Jesus was trying to illustrate:
    .. the impossibility of being granted entrance to the kingdom of heaven via our own conduct. Try as we might, we cannot live up to the standard set down in God's law. Only through faith in Jesus, who paid the penalty for our sins, can we saved, and enter heaven.

Clearly you are saying the complete opposite of what Jesus said. Jesus said the great ones in the Kingdom of God are those who both do and teach the commandments.
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Dec '22 01:392 edits
    @bigdogg said
    I don't care what you think the point "should" be, nor about your "correct" way to read a certain passage. Neither do I care that we're on a tangent in your eyes. So what? It's a tangent some of us found interesting, and it's in a thread of its own, so there's absolutely no problem with it.

Well, excuse me, but my post (complete with tiresome evangelical cliches) was very much on point with the OP. Sorry if it's not what you want to read.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Dec '22 09:45
    @mchill said

Well, excuse me, but my post (complete with tiresome evangelical cliches) was very much on point with the OP. Sorry if it's not what you want to read.
    You responded to me, not OP.

If you think you're on point with OP, maybe you should answer his follow up question instead of responding to me again.
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Dec '22 11:503 edits
    @bigdogg said

If you think you're on point with OP, maybe you should answer his follow up question instead of responding to me again.

I was responding to both, and I'll post whatever I want here as I see fit.

-Deal with it!
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Dec '22 12:00
    Ladies and gentlemen, yet another, inimitable Mchill Foray™ into the Spirituality Forum.
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Dec '22 12:24
    @fmf said
    Ladies and gentlemen, yet another, inimitable Mchill Foray™ into the Spirituality Forum.
    You're too kind. 🙂
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '22 13:15
    Why are American Christians so spineless when it comes to addressing questions about their beliefs. Doesn’t happen in the UK.
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    28 Dec '22 08:20
    @divegeester said
    Why are American Christians so spineless when it comes to addressing questions about their beliefs. Doesn’t happen in the UK.
    What would you say has led you to your own moral vacuum and/or abattoir?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree