1. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 11:22
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    why can't anyone rise from the dead?
    Maybe somebody could. My claim here is that if anyone did, it would not be a miracle, it would be within the laws of physics (and chemistry) - it would not be 'supernatural'. It would prove that what we thought was impossible was possible. It would not simultaneously remain impossible under the laws of nature whilst actually having taken place via 'metaphysics'.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 12:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Maybe somebody could. My claim here is that if anyone did, it would not be a miracle, it would be within the laws of physics (and chemistry) - it would not be 'supernatural'. It would prove that what we thought was impossible was possible. It would not simultaneously remain impossible under the laws of nature whilst actually having taken place via 'metaphysics'.
    oh

yes, i agree with this completely.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 09:45
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Don't you think this might be more about social convention rather than anything fundamental to the nature of religiona and science? A church is normally a place of worship; it is not a space for public forum. The fact that people do not ask questions in a church says little about the nature of religion; it simply shows that this social space is not utilised ...[text shortened]... d balk at any interruption of their lecture and dismiss any question as impudent and audacious.
    Hawking's point is that here is no forum in religions, that I am familiar with, for discussions of the teachings that ever actually impacts on this knowledge itself. Science is a process that is by it's very nature self-correcting, learns from mistakes and admits fallability. Clearly religion does not invite this form of review at all and actually considers itself infallible so any mistakes within an ethos of the teachings are thus self-perpetuating and potentially extremely destructive. It is this willful ignorance I rail against and precisely what Hawking is referring to.

On the contrary discussions about results happen constantly in laboratories and any lecturer worth his salt will answer questions obviously after presenting their talk. The invisible man in the sky is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent but just not so good with money so his institutions have collections at their gatherings for panhandling for change. A sordid business perpetuated by deluded simpletons is my view and I really wouldn't care less but it is a dangerous level of ignorance.
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 03:42
    Originally posted by Diodorus Siculus
    Hawking's point is that here is no forum in religions, that I am familiar with, for discussions of the teachings that ever actually impacts on this knowledge itself. Science is a process that is by it's very nature self-correcting, learns from mistakes and admits fallability. Clearly religion does not invite this form of review at all and actually c ...[text shortened]... mpletons is my view and I really wouldn't care less but it is a dangerous level of ignorance.
    to Diodorus Siculus

Bravo, a man of same thinking, BUT, you fail to consider spirituality, do you think there are only 2 forums to discuss our existence, ( religious and evolutionism) well theres spirituality, that puts forward the creator as the causative factor in everything you see and dont see.

But before i continue, may i ask if you are an atheist or what, please.

vishva
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 03:53
    Originally posted by Diodorus Siculus
    Hawking's point is that here is no forum in religions, that I am familiar with, for discussions of the teachings that ever actually impacts on this knowledge itself. Science is a process that is by it's very nature self-correcting, learns from mistakes and admits fallability. Clearly religion does not invite this form of review at all and actually c ...[text shortened]... mpletons is my view and I really wouldn't care less but it is a dangerous level of ignorance.
    Hawking's point is that here is no forum in religions, that I am familiar with, for discussions of the teachings that ever actually impacts on this knowledge itself.

Of course there are forums. Religious organisations sponsor a number of universities and theological faculties all over the world in which argument and debate is encouraged. Admittedly, a pontifical university which has special Catholic accreditation would have to maintain a solid orthodox position -- but even then, there is still discussion of opposing views and theological faculties will still promote ecumenical dialogue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree