1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 18:443 edits
    I know this man and his family personally, his house is directly over the back from my mothers house. His son was in my kids class at primary school.

WENLONG HE first studied physics in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China. He helps edit an international journal of technology and has had dozens of papers published in scientific literature. At present, Wenlong He works for Scotland’s University of Strathclyde. As a youth, he believed in evolution, but later he concluded that life was created. Awake! asked him about his faith.

How did you become interested in the Bible?

In 1998, two of Jehovah’s Witnesses visited my home. They offered to show me the Bible’s answers to my questions. My wife, Huabi, who is also a research scientist, joined us. We had never seen a Bible before, but we were impressed by its practical advice. We noticed how the Witness couple who visited us benefited by applying Bible principles. They were happy and enjoyed an uncomplicated way of life. But what the Bible says about God set me to wondering again whether the universe could have been created. As a physicist, my job is to understand nature. So I decided to give the facts some careful thought.

What facts did you consider?

First, I knew that a closed system cannot become more organized or remain organized unless acted upon by an external agent. That is the second law of thermodynamics. Since the universe and life on earth are highly ordered, I concluded that they must be products of an external agent, a Creator. The second fact was that the universe and the earth seem to be specifically designed to support life.

What evidence of design did you see?

Practically all life on earth depends on energy from the sun. This energy travels through space as radiation. It comes to earth in a vast spectrum of wavelengths. The shortest are the lethal gamma rays. Then come X-rays, ultraviolet rays, visible light, infrared, microwaves, and the longest of all, radio waves. Remarkably, our atmosphere blocks much harmful radiation while allowing other needed radiation to reach the earth’s surface.

Why did that fact impress you?

I was intrigued by the introduction to the Bible’s creation account and its reference to light. It states: “God said: ‘Let there be light.’ Then there was light.” * Only a very narrow band of the vast spectrum of solar radiation is visible light, but light is vital for life. Plants need it to produce food, and we need light to see. The atmosphere’s special transparency to light cannot be a coincidence. Even more remarkable is the tiny amount of ultraviolet light that reaches the earth’s surface.

Why is that significant?

Some ultraviolet radiation is critical. We need a small amount of it on our skin to produce vitamin D, which is vital for bone health and evidently for protection from cancer and other diseases. However, too much of this particular radiation causes skin cancer and eye cataracts. In its natural state, the atmosphere allows only a tiny amount of this ultraviolet radiation to reach the earth’s surface—and it is just the right amount. For me, that is evidence that someone designed the earth to sustain life.

jw.org
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 06:261 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    First, I knew that a closed system cannot become more organized or remain organized unless acted upon by an external agent. That is the second law of thermodynamics. Since the universe and life on earth are highly ordered, I concluded that they must be products of an external agent, a Creator.
    He badly needs a refresher course. He doesn't even understand the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Or, as in the other story you posted, he knows he is wrong and has chosen to tell this fib to you uneducated folk rather than publish his findings in a scientific journal.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 07:012 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He badly needs a refresher course. He doesn't even understand the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Or, as in the other story you posted, he knows he is wrong and has chosen to tell this fib to you uneducated folk rather than publish his findings in a scientific journal.
    yeah I am sure an arrogant balloon head like you will be able to tell him all about it. Is there no field that you are not of a greater expertise in than these professional scientists? Also noteworthy is your (once gain unfounded) assertions of lying, it seems that anyone that has a different perspective from you must be a liar, you of course being the very gaurdian of all that is absolutely true.

Your comments are dismissed as being unworthy of serious attention.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 07:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it seems that anyone that has a different perspective from you must be a liar,
    He made a claim about science. Once again, I have to inform you that reality isn't relative and science is not about 'perspective'. If the Second Law of Thermodynamics leads to the conclusion he made, then he should write a scientific paper on the subject and get himself a Nobel prize. The fact that he hasn't done so means that his conclusion is invalid and he knows it ie he is a liar.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree