1. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    25 May '08 11:49
    Alright guys, i'm new to this whole religion thing
    personally i'm an atheist but a lot of people around me are trying to convert me
    just one thing i've been wondering for a while
    what's the deal with angels?
    were they created by god in the creation of the world
    or are they the spirits of those good people lived in the world.

also...
    i read on another thread that the original snake that caused sin was actually satan
    but i've also heard from other people that Satan was God's right-hand man, and thus an angel right?
    I've also heard that Satan lead a group of angels to rebel against God and was forced to earth because of that, and that humanity was doomed since then
    if that's all true, then doesn't that mean that Satan tried to over heaven before God created the earth with Adam and Eve and thus before mankind was even created?
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 May '08 12:30
    Originally posted by banx99
    ... i'm an atheist but a lot of people around me are trying to convert me
    run.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 20:14
    personally i'm an atheist but a lot of people around me are trying to convert me

also...
    i read on another ...[text shortened]... efore God created the earth with Adam and Eve and thus before mankind was even created?
    Read the Bible. It's all in there. Don't expect it to be easy. As long as you're an atheist it will be next to impossible to get at the truth. Dig deep.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    25 May '08 23:09

also...
    i read on another ...[text shortened]... efore God created the earth with Adam and Eve and thus before mankind was even created?
    Look, I tell you the truth. None of that is really important. Just try to be good to others, love yourself, get through the day. That's about the best anybody can do.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 23:30
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Look, I tell you the truth. None of that is really important. Just try to be good to others, love yourself, get through the day. That's about the best anybody can do.
    Ya, none of that is too important, but you're a reverend right? A minister of the gospel, right? Why on earth don't you tell him about the love of God as expressed in the life, death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ?
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    25 May '08 23:361 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Ya, none of that is too important, but you're a reverend right? A minister of the gospel, right? Why on earth don't you tell him about the love of God as expressed in the life, death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ?
    I thought I did. I'm truly convinced you have not read the Bible.

I was being very Jesusesque in the spirit of the story of the rich young ruler.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 May '08 01:08
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Kirksey, you are precisely the type of religious person I can live with. I don't tell people often enough when I think they do a good job, but I admire your candor.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 May '08 04:10
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    run.
    He really means hang around and talk to them everyday.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 May '08 04:30
    Originally posted by jaywill
    He really means hang around and talk to them everyday.
    Haha, very droll 🙂
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    26 May '08 05:27
    one thing i've been wondering for a while
    but i've also heard from other people that Satan was God's right-hand man, and thus an angel right?
    I've also heard that Satan lead a group of angels to rebel against God
    It is a story of visitors which we have crafted into religion. Like the story of Ezekiel and Lot.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 May '08 07:33

also...
    For a start you must realize that every theist has a different set of beliefs so you will not simply find one single answer. Most Christians agree on a few points but even the major issues have some dissenters.
    I think that most would agree that angels existed before the universe.
    The creation story however would have a lot less agreement. A minority of Christians take it literally and even they admit some allegory (such as the snake really being Satan).
    josephw is right that as an atheist you wont understand the Bible, as at face value much of it does not make sense. It requires belief and some 'inspiration' to interpret it all in a meaningful manner. I personally reject the possibility that that inspiration is from God because the resulting interpretation is different for every believer.
  12. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    27 May '08 14:31

also...
    Angels are not the souls of good people. They were created by God, and yes Lucifier was once an angel. He was banished from heaven for trying to exalt himself above God. One third of the Angels in heavens in believed what Lucifier had said and they too had to follow satan as well. As far as humanity being doomed. Satan didn't bring sin into to the world, man did.

Satan didn't make man eat the the forbidden fruit, we were tricked, tempted by our own desires is a better way of saying that. Their was an order that man had to obey. Man didn't, we put our own wants first. Thus the birth of sin in the flesh. Satan sinned in the spiritual realm, Adam sinned in the physical realm.
  13. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    27 May '08 14:40
    As was previously mentioned, don't bother with religion. Faith and belief is appropriate, but as soon as you get into organized religion you're asking for trouble.
  14. England
    Moves
    28 May '08 10:48
    angels worship god and do his bidding, were before mankind, they can come between heaven and earth but only with gods word, they do not exualt themselves, when the devil wanted mosses body the angel took it by not his own authority but said god requires it. hope this helps.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 May '08 11:24
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    As was previously mentioned, don't bother with religion. Faith and belief is appropriate, but as soon as you get into organized religion you're asking for trouble.
    And what is this 'disorganized religion' that you deem appropriate? Appropriate for what? Getting all the 'conversion attempts' off your back?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree