1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 18:50
    Henry Edward Bird

Mr. Bird is a man of extraordinary energy. He not merely delights in hard work, but he never fears to break fresh ground and wield unwonted weapons. Thus, during his long illness in 1890-1, when he had to spend several months in St Thomas's Hospital, suffering constant pain, and at times unable to move, he never lost heart, never gave way to idleness, or sank into despair; but, rightly perceiving that the best thing for him was to employ his mind, and, as far as possible, diversify his pursuits, he at first proceeded to write a new chess book ("Chess for Beginners"; an excellent manual), and then sought out a fresh subject for his meditations. Fortunately, he bethought him of the Bible, and naturally became intensely interested in the question of figures, as set forth in the Books of the Kings and Chronicles. Then the prophecies of Isaiah attracted his attention, and filled him with delight. They awoke the spiritual in his soul, and caused him to exclaim, "How magnificent!".

from the "Knights and Kings of Chess", London, 1894
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 19:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Henry Edward Bird

Mr. Bird is a man of extraordinary energy. He not merely delights in hard work, but he never fears to break fresh ground and wield unwonted weapons. Thus, during his long illness in 1890-1, when he had to spend several months in St Thomas's Hospital, suffering constant pain, and at times unable to move, he never lost heart, never ...[text shortened]... o exclaim, "How magnificent!".

from the "Knights and Kings of Chess", London, 1894[/b]
    (Yawn)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 20:07
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    (Yawn)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    aye you dont see the greatest chess players in the history of the game turning to atheism to have their spirits lifted, do yah!

Robbie Carrobie, Henry Bird and Bobby Fischer 1

Noobster and the other athiests 0

🙂
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 21:46
    aye you dont see the greatest chess players in the history of the game turning to atheism to have their spirits lifted, do yah!

🙂
    Here you go. Have your spirits lifted.

YouTube&feature=related
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 22:034 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Here you go. Have your spirits lifted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryuMf8qZ0g&feature=related
    yes yes, how brave of you to to pick on an old, dying and and mentally troubled man, get a grip, do you also rob old ladies as well? So a man turns to God to deal with his personal problems, as Fischer did, what's it to you?
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 22:13
    yes yes, how brave of you to to pick on an old, dying and and mentally troubled man, get a grip, do you also rob old ladies as well? So a man turns to God to deal with his personal problems, as Fischer did, what's it to you?
    Actually it is a lot to me when someone tells me that a man turns to God to deal with his personal problems and this anti-Semite is what you offer.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 22:193 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Actually it is a lot to me when someone tells me that a man turns to God to deal with his personal problems and this anti-Semite is what you offer.
    tell me what is it you dont understand about Fischer being mentally ill? what do you know about it? After you victimise old dying men, rob old ladies, do you visit the wards of mental health units and persecute and stigmatise those with delusional thinking? because that's exactly what your doing here.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 22:28
    tell me what is it you dont understand about Fischer being mentally ill? what do you know about it? After you victimise old dying men, rob old ladies, do you visit the wards of mental health units and persecute those with delusional thinking? because that's exactly what your doing here.
    You're funny.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 22:48

🙂
    I would hope not. I would hope they turn to atheism because they actually believe it's true.

If I could believe something because it lifts my spirits, I'd go for a heaven flowing with rivers of pristine ale, and swimsuit models frolicking about everywhere.

I'd even let Bobby Fischer in, just so I could play him a few games.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 23:081 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I would hope not. I would hope they turn to atheism because they actually believe it's true.

If I could believe something because it lifts my spirits, I'd go for a heaven flowing with rivers of pristine ale, and swimsuit models frolicking about everywhere.

I'd even let Bobby Fischer in, just so I could play him a few games.
    Lol, now that is funny. One must ask however, what atheism would have to offer? there are no Holy Books are there? No restoration promises? No appeal to an everlasting earthly paradise, how could it lift ones spirit?
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 23:12

🙂
    This is the best argument for religion: it gives people hope

But I feel that not all people are capable of switching off their own logic to accept religion. In a way I am jealous of those that devoutly believe but I am afraid I will never be one of them.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 23:151 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    This is the best argument for religion: it gives people [b]hope

But I feel that not all people are capable of switching off their own logic to accept religion. In a way I am jealous of those that devoutly believe but I am afraid I will never be one of them.[/b]
    we suspend belief all the time, however, once you accept, that with God all things are possible, it becomes easier, not to suspend belief, but to accept the possibilities 🙂
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 23:51
    we suspend belief all the time, however, once you accept, that with God all things are possible, it becomes easier, not to suspend belief, but to accept the possibilities 🙂
    How can one suspend belief??

Doesnt make sense to me 😳
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 00:10
    Lol, now that is funny. One must ask however, what atheism would have to offer? there are no Holy Books are there? No restoration promises? No appeal to an everlasting earthly paradise, how could it lift ones spirit?
    Freedom from certain illusions.

No more following archaic moral guidelines from the 'holy' books.

No more wasting time practicing religion, going to churches, etc.

Freedom to do what is personally meaningful, rather than having a bunch of religious leaders tell you what should be meaningful to you.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 07:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    How can one suspend belief??

Doesnt make sense to me 😳
    you suspend belief when you watch a movie, do you not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree