1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '13 09:50
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_evolution#Catholic_teaching_and_evolution
    Even your reference admits that theistic evolution is not an official position of the Catholic Church.

The Instructor
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    17 May '13 11:04
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    are you seriously going to try and argue that the catholic church doesnt support evolution??? do you know it also supports old earth and the big bang?
    Georges Lemaitre, a Catholic priest, was the first person to suggest a big bang start to the universe.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '13 13:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Then you don't know very much outside of your hermetically sealed world.

Here are some poll numbers that show the level of belief for 'god guided' evolution:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/americans-believe-in-creationism_n_1571127.html

Even among people who attend church weekly, 25% believe that god guided evolution over millions of years.
    Thanks for the info, it is a sad day. For people to believe in Theistic Evolution is sad indeed. This tells me they know little about bible doctrine, this also tells me they do not take the bible seriously.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '13 13:42
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I love how changes in knowledge are a point of mockery with fundamentalists.
    Changes in knowledge or changes in opinions?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '13 13:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Take the advice of your pastor:
    In answering someone’s objection to Christianity it is important to know why they are asking the questions they have.

That you remain so totally ignorant of evolution and what fellow Christians believe suggests you have never once tried to consider the views of others.
    This is a typical false accusation. I do consider views of others. This happens to be the first time I have heard of Theistic Evolution. So far I have only seen polls.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 May '13 14:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Even your reference admits that theistic evolution is not an official position of the Catholic Church.

The Instructor
    I suggest you read it again.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 May '13 15:59
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    In the book of Acts, chapter 17, the apostle Paul, while in Athens, was invited to speak about Christianity to Epicurean and Stoic philosophers. After his presentation Scripture records the response, “some mocked, while others said ‘We will hear you again on this matter…However, some…believed (Acts 17:32, 33).” Today, just like in ancient Athens there ar ...[text shortened]... he test for historical authenticity and reliability as does the New Testament.
    GraceMinistryUSA
    Yikes. Not exactly a tour de force.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '13 16:08
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Yikes. Not exactly a tour de force.
    I expected nothing less from you...🙂
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 May '13 19:241 edit
    Changes in knowledge or changes in opinions?
    Knowledge.

EDIT: this thread has been one gigantic FAIL. It should have been titled "Not bothering to answer Christianity's critics" or "Dismissing Christianity's Critics".
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '13 23:10
    Knowledge.

EDIT: this thread has been one gigantic FAIL. It should have been titled "Not bothering to answer Christianity's critics" or "Dismissing Christianity's Critics".
    The failure is on your part only because some Christians believe in T.Evolution, you dismiss the rest of the OP. You are trying an end around on this alone, but fail to deal with the rest of the OP.
    T.Evolution is weak. These are Christians who do not view the integrity of the words of God. God made the first man, Adam, not an ape-man.
    Opinions come and go, but the Word of God abides forever.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 May '13 23:371 edit
    The failure is on your part only because some Christians believe in T.Evolution, you dismiss the rest of the OP. You are trying an end around on this alone, but fail to deal with the rest of the OP.
    T.Evolution is weak. These are Christians who do not view the integrity of the words of God. God made the first man, Adam, not an ape-man.
    Opinions come and go, but the Word of God abides forever.
    People are trying to deal with some of the points in the OP, but you're not giving any real answers. How can you expect people to tackled the entire OP if you can't even respond to one or two points constructively?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '13 23:51
    People are trying to deal with some of the points in the OP, but you're not giving any real answers. How can you expect people to tackled the entire OP if you can't even respond to one or two points constructively?
    Uh, I thought I did. T.Evolution is just another theory. The bible has withstood the test of time and critics.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 May '13 01:07
    My oh my, how Evolution has "evolved" within itself. It used to mean there is no Intelligent Design, life just happened by accident.

This is new to me. I know of no Christians that believe this.
    If you are going to make outlandish statements back them up!

Can you give a date when The Theory of Evolution suggested life happened by accident?
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 May '13 01:18
    Uh, I thought I did. T.Evolution is just another theory. The bible has withstood the test of time and critics.
    You're not giving us anything we couldn't find emblazoned on a T-shirt at any random Christian bookstore.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 May '13 03:291 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    If you are going to make outlandish statements back them up!

Can you give a date when The Theory of Evolution suggested life happened by accident?
    "People's ideas on the circumstances under which life might emerge have really changed and developed over the last 30 or 40 years. I think it's fair to say that when I was a boy those few people who thought about the origin of life thought that it probably was a set of improbable reactions that just happened to get going over the fullness of time. And I think it's fair to say that most of those people probably thought that we would find out what those reactions were, that somehow we would nail it in a test tube at some point."

Andrew Knoll, a professor of biology at Harvard and author of Life on a Young Planet: The First Three Billion Years of Life

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/how-did-life-begin.html

An often-told origin-of-life story is that complex biological compounds assembled by chance out of an organic broth on the early Earth's surface. This pre-biotic synthesis culminated in one of these bio-molecules being able to make copies of itself.

The first support for this idea of life arising out of the primordial soup came from the famous 1953 experiment by Stanley Miller and Harold Urey, in which they made amino acids—the building blocks of proteins—by applying sparks to a test tube of hydrogen, methane, ammonia, and water.

http://www.livescience.com/10531-life-began-research-suggests-simple-approach.html

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree