1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 13:15
    Some of these mediums are awesome - they can actually get information from the spirits around us and pass it back to their relatives and other 'loved ones'. What I would like to ask is there anyone out there who has evidence that it actually works?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 13:57
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Some of these mediums are awesome - they can actually get information from the spirits around us and pass it back to their relatives and other 'loved ones'. What I would like to ask is there anyone out there who has evidence that it actually works?
    I guarantee you it's a lie. Works as much as astrology.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 13:58
    No, but it makes for great advertising draws on television.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 14:12
    Well that depends on what you mean by evidence. If you mean scientifically acceptable evidence then the answer is no.
    There are also indications that tell you that someone is faking it.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 16:11
    I've had a couple of dreams that have come true.
    However, much of what one dreams is based upon one's fears. So, being in a situation similar to that of the dream could trigger reactions which are similar to those in the dream as well.
    Meaning that the dream is more of a self fulfilling prophecy than an actual prophecy.

As for reading tea cups, catching garden fairies (and pulling their wings off) and tarot card reading... much of it is just looking and listening to the sucker opposite you.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 23:41
    Originally posted by serigado
    I guarantee you it's a lie. Works as much as astrology.
    but lots of people have faith in astrology...
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 23:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well that depends on what you mean by evidence. If you mean scientifically acceptable evidence then the answer is no.
    There are also indications that tell you that someone is faking it.
    go on - what is the evidence against?
    Lots of people who are bereaved get comfort from the information passed back, so there must be something to it all.
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 23:441 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I've had a couple of dreams that have come true.
    However, much of what one dreams is based upon one's fears. So, being in a situation similar to that of the dream could trigger reactions which are similar to those in the dream as well.
    Meaning that the dream is more of a self fulfilling prophecy than an actual prophecy.

As for reading tea cups, cat ...[text shortened]... and tarot card reading... much of it is just looking and listening to the sucker opposite you.
    ...ok, but people believe in it; despite the lack of 'scientific' evidence. Surely the evidence is that people are comforted by the information they get back; is that not enough?
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 00:00
    but lots of people have faith in astrology...
    You wouldn't believe the amount of stupid things people have faith in. That doesn't make them right. Independently of how strong people want it to be.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 00:02
    ...ok, but people believe in it; despite the lack of 'scientific' evidence. Surely the evidence is that people are comforted by the information they get back; is that not enough?
    That's not evidence. People get comforted by an illusion. If you ask me is it's ok to "lie" to people to make them feel better, that's one thing. If that makes the "lie" further or closer to reality, that's a completely different story.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 00:11
    Lots of people who are bereaved get comfort from the information passed back, so there must be something to it all.
    There's something to it - psychology. Those people who believe in it get to hear what they want to hear. They want to believe that the person they have lost is still somewhere out there and that they can still communicate with xym.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 07:521 edit
    go on - what is the evidence against?
    A lot of people are comforted by Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Do you think that they exist?
    The problem is that the same people who believe in astrology and mediums etc will often also believe in God and belong to a religion that specifically declares those same things to be either false or the work of the devil.
    The evidence against it?
    1. Lack of scientific evidence. Surely at least one medium in history would have wanted to make a name for himself by submitting to some scientific scrutiny. Unless there is a no evidence clause in the whole thing just like most religions.
    2. Many people have shown that the results can easily be faked ie someone who does not communicate with spirits can convince others that he is doing so to the same extent as those claiming to be mediums.
    3. Contradiction. If you went to two different mediums you would get two different messages which might contradict each other.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 09:00
    Well, as long as one recognises it's a placebo, then there is nothing wrong with it, no.
  14. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 10:181 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    There's something to it - psychology. Those people who believe in it get to hear what they want to hear. They want to believe that the person they have lost is still somewhere out there and that they can still communicate with xym.
    I guess that could apply to many areas. If I believe in something enough, it bocomes real (for me anyway); and if I go far enough, it would become damaging for me to have to admit it might not be real (or true), and so my mind would tend to block out any evidence or possibility of evidence that would challenge my belief.

I have seen some of these people and they do seem like they have information that would be very difficult to get from elsewhere, however the sort of people who want to believe in mediums or are at least open about them will tend to be the people there. Does that make them complicit in the whole shebang?

the other issue is the 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' stuff. However something should have come up by now - or is it like evidence of god?
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 10:46
    I guess that could apply to many areas. If I believe in something enough, it bocomes real (for me anyway); and if I go far enough, it would become damaging for me to have to admit it might not be real (or true), and so my mind would tend to block out any evidence or possibility of evidence that would challenge my belief.

I have seen some of these p ...[text shortened]... absence' stuff. However something should have come up by now - or is it like evidence of god?
    Perfectly analogy with believing in God, this stuff about believing in communication with dead people.
    If you don't believe in mediums or communication with the departed, why would you believe a God? It's in the same level of faith.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree