1. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 08:08
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I think the real debate is whether my ass is full of moon crickets.
    Well, did you meet a Lunar homo, have sex with him, and did he give you a "reach around"? He may have given you a form of crab lice called "Moon Cricketes".....go buy some Kwell and follow directions, and see a sex counselor, although I don't think they'll be able to locate your lunar partner 250,000 miles away, unless it's a Full Moon....🙄....by the way, do they "chirp" when you sit down?
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 08:191 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    The following is a thought exercise in epistemology.

Suppose NASA completed a mission to the moon and they reported having observed moon crickets there.

Is this alone sufficient evidence for you to believe in the existence of moon crickets?

Would your belief in moon crickets be affected by the consesus among the astronauts? For example, w ...[text shortened]... hat other factors would determine how the mission affects your belief in moon crickets?

Dr. S
    What other factors would determine how the mission affects your belief in moon crickets?

-What kind of food do they eat, since there aren't any other life-forms on the moon ?

-Do they drink water, since there isn't any water on the moon ? If they don't then how do they supply themselves with the fluids they need ?

-Since there is no athmosphere on the moon how would they survive, especially since they need an atmosphere to sing their happy songs ?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 11:56
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    -Since there is no atmosphere on the moon how would they survive, especially since they need an atmosphere to sing their happy songs ?
    They're all hardcore John Cage fans.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 13:31
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What other factors would determine how the mission affects your belief in moon crickets?

Dr. S
    I'm sorry, but I don't think this analogy holds. Danwa's strawmen suffer from the same errancy.

First of all, the hypothetical crickets were discovered long after the advent of instant and mass communication. Secondly, if instead of a NASA report shortly after their discovery, it was a group of post-NASA 'adherents' who, several centuries later (and presumably after the dissolution of NASA) claimed these crickets were responsible for the salvation of our eternal souls in a bid to hegemonize political and economic power, I'd be suspicious.

IMO, there is no way to draw any sort of modern analogy with the historical method used to investigate/perpetuate the jesus myth. Am I missing something?
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 13:41
    Moon Crickets are real! I almost got jumped by one the other day! 🙄
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 14:51
    If they mentioned moon crickets in the Holy Bible then this thread would be an entirely different story. If 6 out of 7 astronauts witnessed a moon cricket and there were no peculiar circumstances surrounding the event (such as smoking reefer and liftin' forties), then there must be moon crickets in existence, and the skepticism that has grown so strong in our modern thought process will only lead us to a laughable denial of the truth. How can we trust in anything anymore? Damn moon crickets ruined everything.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 14:54
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    If they mentioned moon crickets in the Holy Bible then this thread would be an entirely different story. If 6 out of 7 astronauts witnessed a moon cricket and there were no peculiar circumstances surrounding the event (such as smoking reefer and liftin' forties), then there must be moon crickets in existence, and the skepticism that has grown so strong in ...[text shortened]... denial of the truth. How can we trust in anything anymore? Damn moon crickets ruined everything.
    You're just jealous because they play better air(less) guitar than you.
  8. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 17:081 edit
    I know moon crickets are real because one introduced me to a Lady in Red.
    It was a spiritual awakening.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 21:36
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    They're all hardcore John Cage fans.
    It took me 4 minutes and 32 seconds to get this joke. 😉

Nemesio
  10. The sky
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 21:42
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    It took me 4 minutes and 32 seconds to get this joke. 😉

Nemesio
    When the music stopped, you suddenly understood?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree