1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    22 Feb '10 09:25
    He is such a fascinating character! A handsome, mighty, arrogant jerk who revels in war but when faced with an equal generally loses.

True, Ares was brave and strong—but he was also argumentative, impulsive, bloodthirsty, and destructive. In conflicts, the god of war chose sides capriciously and sometimes switched sides in the middle of a war. Ares simply took pleasure in the bloodshed, slaughter, and wanton destruction of war.

Ironically, the god of war was not so skillful as a warrior:

Level-headed, disciplined Athena bested him twice.
    Otus and Ephialtes, the giant sons of Poseidon, also defeated him. Indeed, they humiliated him, trapping him inside a bronze jar for over a year before Hermes managed to release him.
    Heracles (see The Labors of Heracles) knocked the god of war off his feet four times in a single battle and ultimately forced him to flee from the battlefield.
    Diomedes stabbed him with a spear and sent him running from the battlefield outside Troy.

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/cig/mythology/threes-crowd-olympian-love-triangle.html
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '10 09:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    He is such a fascinating character! A handsome, mighty, arrogant jerk who revels in war but when faced with an equal generally loses.

True, Ares was brave and strong—but he was also argumentative, impulsive, bloodthirsty, and destructive. In conflicts, the god of war chose sides capriciously and sometimes switched sides in the middle of a war. A ...[text shortened]...

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/cig/mythology/threes-crowd-olympian-love-triangle.html
    what is so fascinating about him? is failure fascinating now?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 06:51
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    what is so fascinating about him? is failure fascinating now?
    It can be! What's fascinating is that he's the God of bloodthirsty, chaotic warfare and yet he's so bad at it (for a god anyway).
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 08:50
    It can be! What's fascinating is that he's the God of bloodthirsty, chaotic warfare and yet he's so bad at it (for a god anyway).
    no he is not. he is good at it. he is bad at anything else. he is like most other greek gods, basically humans with flaws and supernatural abilities that live forever and answer to mostly nobody. not fascinating.

unless you want to redefine your view on fascinating
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 10:32
    no he is not. he is good at it. he is bad at anything else. he is like most other greek gods, basically humans with flaws and supernatural abilities that live forever and answer to mostly nobody. not fascinating.

Maybe he should ask you for permission to be fascinated? 😕
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 10:36

True, Ares was brave and strong—but he was also argumentative, impulsive, bloodthirsty, and destructive. In conflicts, the god of war chose sides capriciously and sometimes switched sides in the middle of a war. A ...[text shortened]...

It's interesting how the Greeks had two gods of war. Athena being the idealized version of warfare and Ares probably much closer to what real warfare is. Perhaps one to justify the war and one to be the scapegoat for the excesses of war...
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 10:411 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's interesting how the Greeks had two gods of war. Athena being the idealized version of warfare and Ares probably much closer to what real warfare is. Perhaps one to justify the war and one to be the scapegoat for the excesses of war...
    I think the distinction was strategy versus violence, brains versus brawn; the Athenians obviously considering themselves smarter than the rest.

The Spartans' chief gods were Ares and Artemis, Aeginaea; 'the name means either huntress of chamois, or the wielder of the javelin'.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 10:49
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I think the distinction was strategy versus violence, brains versus brawn; the Athenians obviously considering themselves smarter than the rest.

The Spartans' chief gods were Ares and Artemis, Aeginaea; 'the name means either huntress of chamois, or the wielder of the javelin'.
    That's the classic view, I guess. But the side-switching of Ares may be revealing. Of course, the Athenians would see themselves as righteous and so Athena would be behind them, but how to justify atrocity in war? Simple, just add a brainless side-switching thug. I'm, of course, making this all up as I go but it's an interesting thought.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 12:17
    Maybe he should ask you for permission to be fascinated? 😕
    you miss the point. i asked him why.

also this is a debate. i have the right to disagree with his statement
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 12:47
    you miss the point. i asked him why.

also this is a debate. i have the right to disagree with his statement
    Not in the post I quoted, which was your reply to his answer on your original question.

The right? LOL!
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 13:04
    Not in the post I quoted, which was your reply to his answer on your original question.

The right? LOL!
    i have trouble untwisting this phrase. could you rephrase it?

no hurry though. prolly not important
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 13:09
    i have trouble untwisting this phrase. could you rephrase it?

no hurry though. prolly not important
    Your question -> his answer -> your reply to his answer -> my comment on your reply.

Simple!
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 14:33
    Your question -> his answer -> your reply to his answer -> my comment on your reply.

Simple!
    me: what is so fascinating about him? is failure fascinating now?
    him: It can be! What's fascinating is that he's the God of bloodthirsty, chaotic warfare and yet he's so bad at it (for a god anyway).
    me: no he is not. he is good at it. he is bad at anything else. he is like most other greek gods, basically humans with flaws and supernatural abilities that live forever and answer to mostly nobody. not fascinating.
    some troll not adding anything to the discussion: Maybe he should ask you for permission to be fascinated?

you mean like this? ok, seems simple now indeed. now refresh my memory as to what your problem is?
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 14:381 edit
    you mean like this? ok, seems simple now indeed. now refresh my memory as to what your problem is?
    If it's simple, you'd find out yourself, wouldn't you?

As for trolling, I already contributed much more than your whinging about what ATY finds fascinating.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '10 23:24
    If it's simple, you'd find out yourself, wouldn't you?

As for trolling, I already contributed much more than your whinging about what ATY finds fascinating.
    glad we had this chat, we accomplished a lot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree