1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 15:534 edits
    I am a huge fan of art house cinema with a preference for Japanese and Indian films.

There is a Japanese film entitled Ikiru in which a minor bureaucrat finds that he has stomach cancer and a few months to live. For the past thirty years his life has been one of endless drudgery and his certificates for loyal service mock him from the wall. He attempts hedonism and finds it unfulfilling and turns to altruism, a last act of turning a cesspool into a play park for children. Opposed by a culture of 'its best to do nothing' and city bureaucrats more interested in preserving their own positions he eventually triumphs.

As a Christian existentialist this appealed to me no end. I thought about my own little town and the people in it, how many of us were really alive not merely existing in some kind of endless drudgery. Is it like some kind of horrific facade? a pretence of living? some ghoulish apparition? a ghost town full of people who stopped living twenty years ago? Perhaps there are lots of meaningful acts that I am not party to? little things, not necessarily building play parks, but small gestures and acts of kindness.

The interesting phenomena was that at his wake his co-workers while inebriated were emboldened to carry on his legacy but on sobering up returned to their mindless drudgery simply being content to protect their own positions. Was our friends act one of futility? Not for him. For him it made him alive and he felt that he was really living. Not for the children and their mothers who used to live beside the cesspool. Just a single meaningful act can make us feel alive. Isn't it interesting?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 03:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Isn't it interesting?
    Isn't what interesting?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 03:11
    Originally posted by josephw
    Isn't what interesting?
    How, on occasion, just a single meaningful act can make us feel alive.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 08:46
    Isn't what interesting?
    If you are asking this I don't think you have understood the text. But thats ok.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 08:482 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Again if you are asking this I don't think you have understood the text either, but thats ok. I will not be offering any explanation.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 08:561 edit
    Again if you are asking this I don't think you have understood the text either, but thats ok. I will not be offering any explanation.
    Actually old chap I believe FMF was answering Joseph. (And note the lack of a question mark).

Less haste more speed.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 08:593 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Actually old chap I believe FMF was answering Joseph. (And note the lack of a question mark).

Less haste more speed.
    ok, I understand it was rhetorical. Can I persuade you to become an existentialist philosopher too? Perhaps you already are.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 09:02
    ok, I understand. Can I persuade you to become an existentialist philosopher too? Perhaps you already are.
    Yes sir, yes you can.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 12:44
    If you are asking this I don't think you have understood the text. But thats ok.
    Doctor, my eyes have seen the years
    And the slow parade of fears without crying
    Now I want to understand
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 12:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Like an act of faith.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 12:52
    ok, I understand it was rhetorical. Can I persuade you to become an existentialist philosopher too? Perhaps you already are.
    I thought you said you were a "Christian existentialist". Now you are an "existentialist philosopher"?

WOW! 😲
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 13:21
    I thought you said you were a "Christian existentialist". Now you are an "existentialist philosopher"?

WOW! 😲
    Interestingly 'existentialist philosopher' is an anagram of:

I am Lord Voldemort.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 17:00
    Like an act of faith.
    what is an act of faith?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 17:01

WOW! 😲
    Actually I am a Christian existentialist philosopher but between you and I am merely a mild mannered janitor.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 17:05
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Yes sir, yes you can.
    Great, we shall start the chess existentialist society of RHP. But seriously, you have a theology degree, what is it that gives one persons life more meaning than another? This business of living, it appears to me that we build constructs which civilise us but reduce us to a kind of domestic rabbit when we would experience living as wild rabbits. What say you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree