1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 08:171 edit
    Would an atheist be dissuaded from giving to a religious charity?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 08:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It would depend on which particular charity and what the money would go to. I would have no qualms with donating money to a religious charity set up to feed the homeless for instance, but I wouldn't give money to the Biblical Creation Ministeries charity.

Funnily enough, I am rehearsing in a church tonight, we get to use the space by making a donation.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 10:49
    Not necessarily. It would depend on what percentage they actually use for charity and what percentage they use for religious propaganda.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 11:48
    as the others have said... Depends what the money is used for.

If they give a suitable percentage to the cause, and there is no equivalently
    good secular charity, then I would, and have, donate to a religious charity.

I've also donated on occasion to "repair the roof" kind of charity collections
    where I feel the church has historical/architectural value.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 11:55
    Would any theists here donate to a charity of a religion other than their own?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 16:01
    ok thanks for the replies, once again you seem capable of rational thought.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 16:13
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It would depend on which particular charity and what the money would go to. I would have no qualms with donating money to a religious charity set up to feed the homeless for instance, but I wouldn't give money to the Biblical Creation Ministeries charity.

Funnily enough, I am rehearsing in a church tonight, we get to use the space by making a donation.
    What are you rehearsing?
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 16:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What are you rehearsing?
    Music. I'm playing a festival this weekend. If you're lucky enough I'll get some videod and put on YouTube tomorrow.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 18:021 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Music. I'm playing a festival this weekend. If you're lucky enough I'll get some videod and put on YouTube tomorrow.
    What kind of festival? Acoustic? What style? Ah, I see by your profile you are a drummer. That would indicate electric. Blues?
  10. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    02 Aug '13 07:11
    a better question is would a religious charity accept a donation from an atheist? some wouldn't even think about touching the money
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '13 09:51
    Originally posted by empovsun
    a better question is would a religious charity accept a donation from an atheist? some wouldn't even think about touching the money
    Wow.

That's insulting on pretty much every level.

Please do explain what it is about us atheists that warrants a charity refusing to take
    our money?

And why it is that you think that that is a better question?
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '13 10:172 edits
    I think this is an excellent question. Like the other atheists here, I would donate to any charity, religiously backed or not, if I felt that the funds were going to the charities stated target rather than furthering the religious cause, and if the stated cause was one I felt worthwhile. For example, I have given to the Salvation Army [http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/salvation-army-5871] but would be unlikely to donate to the Bible Reading Fellowship [http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/bible-reading-fellowship-5584]

I would be very interested to know whether any theists here have strong views about donating to charities of other faiths.
    1 - Does it again depend on whether the charity is actively promoting that particular faith?
    2 - or would you not give to any charity not of your own faith, no matter what their purpose?
    3 - Or does neither the faith nor purpose matter at all, you will give to any and every charity you hear of?
    4 - Or do you never give to any charity ever?

I would expect that most theists would be of type '1', just like atheists. Answer '2' would be the most morally repugnant to me but I can think of one or two here who might just subscribe to that one. 3 and 4 are answers I would be quite surprised to hear.

--- Penguin.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Aug '13 18:44
    Originally posted by empovsun
    It depends. What's more important to them - helping those they purport to help, or playing spiritual politics?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '13 23:421 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It depends. What's more important to them - helping those they purport to help, or playing spiritual politics?
    I would not want to accept their donation. I doubt that they would offer it.

But Jesus to His disciples that if a town would not receive their preaching to shake off even the dust from their streets.

This seems to be a gesture that nothing from them is sought. You judge yourself -

Luke 10:10,11 " But into whatever city you enter and they do not receive you, go into its streets and say

Even the dust from your city which clings to our feet, we wipe off against you; yet know this, that the kingdom of God has drawn near."

Matthew 10:14 - "And whoever does not receive you nor hear your words, as you go put of that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

Truly I say to you, It will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city."

If Jesus told them to shake the dust off their feet it implies they would not accept donation or support from these God rejecters. And why would they want to donate anyway ?
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 00:46
    Originally posted by sonship
    I would not want to accept their donation. I doubt that they would offer it.

But Jesus to His disciples that if a town would not receive their preaching to shake off even the dust from their streets.

This seems to be a gesture that nothing from them is sought. You judge yourself -

Luke 10:10,11 [b]" But into whatever city you enter and they d ...[text shortened]... ept donation or support from these God rejecters. And why would they want to donate anyway ?
    An atheist might want to donate to the Salvation Army, for example, because he wishes to help the poor. That doesn't have jack to do with rejecting preachers. It has everything to do with an issue of mutual concern.

If your god-obsession causes you to block others from doing good deeds, what good is it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree