1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 19:56
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Agreed, I have still yet to hear a convincing argument as to why we should accept any person's report of the qualities of God, Jesus or their determinacy of the bible.
    Just keep listening.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 00:041 edit
    The main difficulty I have with religion is that they are defined (and that some set of truths(?) of one religion are disjoint from such sets in another religion)...I am prepared to accept perhaps the *possibility* that there are things out there that no human has the facility to comprehend, I just find the idea that a human can define a god and the doctrine that comes with it to be somewhat dubious however.

To subscribe to any particular religion indirectly advertises the fact(?) that other people made a mistake whilst you had the insight to choose the religion that was thrust upon you by your peers/family (which coincidently was the correct one)...rifts are bound to ensue.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 09:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    Just keep listening.
    I've got better things to do.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 10:10
    My question is why do we think we need to punish someone for not thinking the way we do?
    I don't and didn't until now know that you did. Why do you think you need to punish everyone else for believing differently from you?

I do however feel morally obligated to try correct other peoples delusions especially when those delusions affect me negatively. Especially when:
    1. They want to use those delusions as justification for teaching nonsense in a science class.
    2. They want to use those delusions as justification for discrimination (anti-gay legislation for example).
    3. Those delusions result in increased divisions in society which in extreme cases lead to conflict (terrorism, war etc).
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 10:11
    Just keep listening.
    Thats hardly a convincing argument.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree