1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 16:311 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I also have been told I have a problem with authority. But, pace your distinction above, I have no problem with legitimate authority. I have a problem with anybody that would arbitrarily exercise power over me, or even do so paternalistically. I have no problem with experts, as long as I have good reason to think they are experts. This is really the point , which is foisted upon me as the one who must ultimately choose to listen, believe, or act.
    But, pace your distinction above, I have no problem with legitimate authority.

I agree; I probably could have gotten at that more clearly and succinctly. (Also answers josephw’s questions.)

I do this on my own authority, which is foisted upon me as the one who must ultimately choose to listen, believe, or act.

Exactly. And it is this authority that I cannot legitimately attempt to escape by pointing to another.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree