I recommend turning the thing off.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 00:01
    Originally posted by josephw
    I recommend turning the thing off.
    Would that be because you think studying religions other than christianity would be sacrilegious?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 00:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Would that be because you think studying religions other than christianity would be sacrilegious?
    Perhaps for josephw 'Around The World In 80 Faiths' would be a case of Christianity 1, Satan 79.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 00:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps for josephw 'Around The World In 80 Faiths' would be a case of Christianity 1, Satan 79.
    I'm sure, seeing evil coming out of every rock and religion. But by all means, lets see what the wise one has to say.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 07:11
    Why would I think that? That would be ignorant, and nigh onto superstitious.

Get me out of your stereotypical box FMF, then maybe we can have a meaningful debate.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 07:26
    I'm sure, seeing evil coming out of every rock and religion. But by all means, lets see what the wise one has to say.
    What if said you are afraid of Christianity? What if I said you fear Christians? I know what you would say. You'd say you fear what Christianity is doing to the world and how it is responsible for war and all sorts of negative things.

I have a son 36 years old. How old are you? I think maybe I knew about this worlds religions before you were born. If you want to continue to infer how ignorant and bigoted I am, then there's not much use in having a debate.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 07:482 edits
    I think maybe I knew about this worlds religions before you were born.
    What was it about your process of finding out about "this worlds' religions" that has resulted in you suggesting that someone else shouldn't watch the TV series about religions mentioned in the OP?

Asked about a major documentary series you said "I recommend turning the thing off". I don't quite see why you having a son who is 36 years old justifies, in any way, your odd double standard. Did you find out about religions when you were younger? If you did, what bearing does that have on someone else doing the same?

What does your age have to do with people like me or sonhouse asking if a TV series is worth watching?
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 12:252 edits
    What if said you are afraid of Christianity? What if I said you fear Christians? I know what you would say. You'd say you fear what Christianity is doing to the world and how it is responsible for war and all sorts of negative things.

I have a son 36 years old. How old are you? I think maybe I knew about this worlds religions before you were born. If you ...[text shortened]... continue to infer how ignorant and bigoted I am, then there's not much use in having a debate.
    I might be wrong but I think sonhouse would beat you in *who is oldest-off*. Fear of Christianity or any other organised religion is quite rational. Diluting the influence that major religions have through considering other religions, is for now, the lesser of many evils.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 13:474 edits

I have a son 36 years old. How old are you? I think maybe I knew about this worlds religions before you were born. If you ...[text shortened]... continue to infer how ignorant and bigoted I am, then there's not much use in having a debate.
    What has age got to do with it? I am fast approaching 70, sept 7 to be exact. So what?
    I have worked on the Apollo project as tracking and timing tech, worked in Thailand for years on Space diversity microwave communications sites, Autec project on Andros Island, google it if you don't know that that is, 4 years in Israel as a field service engineer on Varian ion implanters in Jerusalem, one of my kids graduated from HS there, the Anglican International school.

We have friends on both sides of the fence and have had all three Abrahamic religions seen up close and personal in Israel, Syria, and Egypt. I walked up to the caves at Qumran, very slippery slope there, dangerous to walk. I walked up the switchback trail at Masada, before there was a lift. Saw up close the watchtower discovered by Kathleen Kenyan. Walked through Nimrod's fortress in the Golan Heights. Visited the Cairo museum, walked through the pyramids with my tour guide Zawi Hawass before he was a celebrity.

Got fed a nice dinner with Elizibeth Cotton, google her if you don't know who that is, tried to teach her how to play Rev. Gary Davis version of Candyman which a lot of other people tried without success because of her left handed picking techique called Cotton picking. Opened for Pete Seeger at the Will Geer ranch north of LA, closed down a bar with Pete in Nebraska.

Attended high school in Anchorage Alaska before it was a state, walked on Portage glacier when I was 15. Saw some truly awesome aurora back then. Lived in a one room cabin with no electricity or running water but as I was already a ham, I had a receiver I hand built with me and found an electrical outlet at a water pump station about a quarter mile from my house and had a nice time listening to world short wave broadcasts in the middle of the Alaskan forest.

My band Southwind was on a national syndicated TV show starring Ed Asner and we were hired by Ed to play at a wrap party. I made my own CD of my own musical compositions, some of which are on Myspace right now. I got my first amateur radio licence at the age of 13 in Glendora California, now have the top amateur license, the amateur extra, talked to scientists at Mcmurdo station with a wire antenna dangling from my second story window.

Played at folk festivals all over the world including Jacob's Ladder festival on the bank of the Sea of Galilee. Adopted 3 kids, have 8 total, 7 living. Several of them have masters degrees now, some more on the way through college.

I worked at Inplane Photonics in New jersey for 7 years where we built a cleanroom from a bare concrete floor, I was responsible for the infrastructure machines and all the semiconductor process machines there, electron microscope, optical microscopes, computers, sputtering machines, advanced ion etch stations, acid benches, horizontal and vertical furnaces. I was the go to guy for tough troubleshooting problems on everything in the cleanroom.

So what have you accomplished with your life?

Does that give me automatic debating kudos?

So tell me the reason you said to turn it off? It sure looked like you were disparaging the entire series as not being worth the effort to find out about other religions.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 02:18
    What has age got to do with it? I am fast approaching 70, sept 7 to be exact. So what?
    I have worked on the Apollo project as tracking and timing tech, worked in Thailand for years on Space diversity microwave communications sites, Autec project on Andros Island, google it if you don't know that that is, 4 years in Israel as a field service engineer on Var ...[text shortened]... sparaging the entire series as not being worth the effort to find out about other religions.
    Wow. So what do you plan to do during your next 70 years? 😉
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 05:06
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Wow. So what do you plan to do during your next 70 years?
    There are plenty of religionists here who would suggest that he needs to search for some meaning and substance in his life in the 70 years ahead.
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 08:14
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Wow. So what do you plan to do during your next 70 years? 😉
    Advance medical science so he can reach 140. 🙂
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 04:062 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    There are plenty of religionists here who would suggest that he needs to search for some meaning and substance in his life in the 70 years ahead.
    I know. My life so far has been so DULL! To say nothing of meaningless.....

Don't tell me someone has rendered JW speechless?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 04:23
    I know. My life so far has been so DULL! To say nothing of meaningless.....

Don't tell me someone has rendered JW speechless?
    If josephw is 71 or more, you're toast, sonhouse.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree