1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '23 13:55
    We commemorated two years since the passing of my father-in-law today with a mass in the nearest Catholic church (where he went, not the one where I was married) and then off we went to the next city along [his birthplace] to pay our respects at his graveside.

He was very active in the church and community and was admired and loved by many.

He believed in the healing power of faith ~ I do too, as it happens, albeit not in quite the same way as he did ~ and so did many of the congregation and neighbours he moved amongst.

There was also a subtle component of ancient Javanese beliefs to his spiritual mind map along with, as is the case here with both Christians and Muslims, moderating traces of the influence of Hinduism.

Having said that, he was for all intents and purposes, a very straightforward, devout and hard-working Catholic churchman. And yet he was deeply admired by people from other denominations and religions too and perceived as a man of God, so to speak.

His wisdom and healing charisma was acknowledged by all who knew him. This is what the sermon expressed so beautifully.

The church was packed - two years after his death! - and sitting in the church and waiting at the side looking in were numerous Muslims and several people I knew to be Hindus.
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Nov '23 22:412 edits
    @fmf said
    We commemorated two years since the passing of my father-in-law today with a mass in the nearest Catholic church (where he went, not the one where I was married) and then off we went to the next city along [his birthplace] to pay our respects at his graveside.

He was very active in the church and community and was admired and loved by many.

He believed in the healing power ...[text shortened]... rch and waiting at the side looking in were numerous Muslims and several people I knew to be Hindus.
    The church was packed - two years after his death! - and sitting in the church and waiting at the side looking in were numerous Muslims and several people I knew to be Hindus.

Which leads me to believe that despite the nonsensical ramblings of a former President of ours, people who come to this country from other nations are not a threat, and not so very much different as the rest of us.

May your father R.I.P.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '23 20:02
    @fmf said

He believed in the healing power ...[text shortened]... rch and waiting at the side looking in were numerous Muslims and several people I knew to be Hindus.
    That isn't a sermon. It's a eulogy.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '23 22:25
    @josephw said
    That isn't a sermon. It's a eulogy.
    It wasn't a funeral. They were eugolizing words which formed part of the sermon or homily. There's the first reading, the responsorial psalm, the second reading, the reading of the Gospel and then the sermon which, among other things, drew some lessons learned from my father-in-law's life.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    24 Nov '23 23:12
    @fmf said

In a general sense I'm sure we've experienced similar aspects of religious belief in Indonesia. My neck of the woods is predominantly Christian, in the most populous Muslim country in the world, and in twenty years of living here I've not seen one instance of inter - faith tension. For general consumption and not for yours, since you already know, inter - faith marriages are common here, someone can go to bed a Christian and wake up a Muslim, or visa - versa. People in my small village go to (Protestant) church on Sundays, but if pressed they readily admit that the 'old beliefs' hold sway. Our housekeeper is a case in point; he's active in the church and a faith - healer, having six of the seven 'eyes' which constitute a complete healer, and he understands the workings of the human body better than anyone I've met. I get a dodgy back sometimes and a couple of sessions with him and I'm right as ninepence. He's also by the by an ex professional boxer, which can come in handy sometimes, nobody messes with us when he's around. Anyway religious tolerance is the thing, we even locally have that which I believe is the only Synagogue in Indonesia; it's a widely held belief that there are no Jews living in Indonesia, but we've got some, and nobody gives a hoot what anybody else 'is'; other countries could learn from this, I feel....
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Nov '23 00:23
    @fmf said
    It wasn't a funeral. They were eugolizing words which formed part of the sermon or homily. There's the first reading, the responsorial psalm, the second reading, the reading of the Gospel and then the sermon which, among other things, drew some lessons learned from my father-in-law's life.
    I assumed as much, but on the surface what you posted looks like a eulogy.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '23 02:01
    @josephw said
    I assumed as much, but on the surface what you posted looks like a eulogy.
    Well, I am talking about the part of it that was related to my father-in-law.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Nov '23 15:28
    @fmf said
    Well, I am talking about the part of it that was related to my father-in-law.
    "He was very active in the church and community and was admired and loved by many."

That indeed is a "beautiful" legacy, and that your father-in-law's impact on his family, friends and community is remembered two years after his passing speaks volumes as to his character and godly influence.

I can appreciate that regardless of my particular theological persuasion.

"He believed in the healing power of faith ~ I do too, as it happens, albeit not in quite the same way as he did ~.."

Faith is the essence of belief and the cause of Devine providence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree