1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 14:07
    hypothetical question (to be most probably ignored) #6783

i read a book called "behold the man" in which a time traveler goes back to 28ad and finds that christ is profoundly mentally disabled and not capable of being and doing the things described in the bible. having strong religious beliefs the man decides to play the part of christ and make sure the word is spread and christianity happens.

the question - would you do the same to ensure that christianity or your chosen religion happens?
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 14:10
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

i read a book called "behold the man" in which a time traveler goes back to 28ad and finds that christ is profoundly mentally disabled and not capable of being and doing the things described in the bible. having strong religious beliefs the man decides to play the part of christ and make sure ...[text shortened]... question - would you do the same to ensure that christianity or your chosen religion happens?
    So does the man die in Christ place.

I don't think i would die for the world, then again i am not God.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 14:19
    Originally posted by RBHILL

he does, but his last words are " it's a lie....it's a lie...let me down..." which is supposed to sound like "Eloi, eloi, lama sabachthani"
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 14:51

So you do not believe in eternal life? For you death is the end, and something to be feared?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 14:52
    .... and finds that christ is profoundly mentally disabled and not capable of being and doing the things described in the bible.
    How does he know it is Christ?
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 15:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How does he know it is Christ?
    he meets jesus and his parents mary and joseph in nazareth, mary claims she was impregnated by an angel and joseph is a bitter old carpenter.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 15:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you do not believe in eternal life? For you death is the end, and something to be feared?
    That is not what i said.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 15:583 edits

i read a book called "behold the man" in which a time traveler goes back to 28ad and finds that christ is profoundly mentally disabled and not capable of being and doing the things described in the bible. having strong religious beliefs the man decides to play the part of christ and make sure ...[text shortened]... question - would you do the same to ensure that christianity or your chosen religion happens?
    the question - would you do the same to ensure that christianity or your chosen religion happens?

I could not if I wished to.
    I would not.

What is the truth is what would be more important to me. Now I zing back in Mr. Well's imaginary Time Machine and find that the Gospel's are not true ?

THEN FORGET ABOUT IT !!

But then I would be curious to see if Daniel was true, Isaiah was true, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob were true, David were true, Solomon were true, Deborah, Anna, Sarah, Rachal, Esther, Ruth, Bethsheba, Samson, Elijah, Elisha, Jeremiah, Noah, Jonah, and Job were true.

Just curious.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 16:15
    Originally posted by jaywill

I would not.

What is the [b]truth
    is what would be more important to me. Now I zing back in Mr. Well's imaginary Time Machine and find that the Gospel's are not true ?

THEN FORGET ABOUT IT ...[text shortened]... Bethsheba, Samson, Elijah, Elisha, Jeremiah, Noah, Jonah, and Job were true.

Just curious.
    Post of the month so far.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 16:30

This is a stupid question demanding a stupid answer.

Read better books.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 17:31
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This is a stupid question demanding a stupid answer.

Read better books.
    as your were talking about listening to "Chronicles of the Black Sword" in the other thread i thought you would be a big moorcock fan?
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 17:36

I would not.

What is the [b]truth
    is what would be more important to me. Now I zing back in Mr. Well's imaginary Time Machine and find that the Gospel's are not true ?

THEN FORGET ABOUT IT ...[text shortened]... Bethsheba, Samson, Elijah, Elisha, Jeremiah, Noah, Jonah, and Job were true.

Just curious.
    i wondered if a person who believed 100% in god, put in that situation would continue to believe and think that this was their duty to 'step up to the plate' or would they question the existence of god. i suspected the 1st would be true.
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 17:443 edits
    Post of the month so far.
    It gets better.

No seriously, I would have a lot of questions about history and my own personal experience.

Someone changed me. That I know. How do I know that Someone changed me ?

I know because the changes I could not make happen on my own.
    I know beause some of the changes I would NOT have wanted but somehow I got an appreciation that it was BETTER to be that way.

I know because people with whom I would NEVER be one, have become my dear brothers and sisters.

I know that Someone has changed me. So if I whized back in time in Mr. Well's imaginary Time Machine and found the New Testament bogus I would have MORE problems to account for. I would have some mysteries to explain for sure.

As it stands, and I have said this before, Jesus Christ is believable.

Let me make this clear. I don't mean ANYBODY rising from the dead as an independent event is that believable. But someone like Jesus rising from the dead is believable.

Jesus rising from the dead is consistent with the power of His teaching and the might of His other deeds. Jesus being God become a man is not the same as believing any other person being God become a man.

An independent event of healing the sick may not be believable.
    An isolated event of feeding 5,000 with a few fishes and a few loaves of bread, may not be belieavable about any old person.

Jesus having proported to have done so is consistent with the power of His words.

"Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes into Me, even if he should die, shall live; And every one who lives and believes into Me shall by no means die forever." (John 11:25a)

Let's put it this way. If I went back in time and found out through time travel that the gospels were fiction, I think it would be important to find WHOEVER had the wisdom and imagination to create such an imaginary character as Jesus of Nazareth .

Whoever that was, we better get him or her to write more short stories.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 17:58
    It gets better.

No seriously, I would have a lot of questions about history and my own personal experience.

Someone [b]changed
    me. That I know. How do I know that Someone changed me ?

I know beause some of the changes I would NOT have wanted but somehow I got an appreciation tha ...[text shortened]... Nazareth[/b] .

Whoever that was, we better get him or her to write more short stories.[/b]
    do chritians think that the bible is word of word 100% historically accurate, i always assumed it would be thought that the stories were based upon true events but may have been slightly corrupted as they were passed on through time, edited and exaggerated by men in power.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '12 18:58
    It gets better.

Someone [b]changed
    me. That I know. How do I know that Someone changed me ?

I know beause some of the changes I would NOT have wanted but somehow I got an appreciation tha ...[text shortened]... Nazareth[/b] .

Whoever that was, we better get him or her to write more short stories.[/b]
    "Let's put it this way. If I went back in time and found out through time travel that the gospels were fiction, I think it would be important to find WHOEVER had the wisdom and imagination to create such an imaginary character as Jesus of Nazareth . "

Leaving aside the question of whether the character written of corresponds to an existent being, or is imaginary in whole or in part, don't you think Paul played a major role? Another major role was played by the folks who defined the canon. IMO.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree