1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 03:01
    Originally posted by Fersboo
    So there can not be any more arguement about the ambiguity of my freakin' question.

Do you believe that there is a personal benefit by living within some, most or all of the strictures of the Bible?

Do you believe that there is a community benefit by living within some, most or all of the strictures of the Bible?

Examples - Do not murder - Yes, there is a personal and community benefit if we follow this stricture.
    Yes, and yes.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 12:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Eygptologists, schooled in the traditional thought resist any new ideas.

Would you elaborate?[/b]
    In response to this point only: Yes, any radical new ideas about the ancient Egyptian civilisation is being actively supressed by Zahi Hawass et al in a orgy of self-preservation. There is significant evidence that The Sphinx at Giza is far older than current mainstream Egyptology allows based on observations made by a John Anthony West and Robert Schoch. Additionally, the Orion Correlation Theory presented by Robert Bauval has met with ridicule and ad homenim attacks, when clearly there is something there to investigate. Consider the following image:

http://www.enterprisemission.com/images/kennedy/giza-o&b.jpg

Off-topic, I apologize. Please continue.
  3. Annapolis MD
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 12:31
    Originally posted by David C
    In response to this point only: Yes, any radical new ideas about the ancient Egyptian civilisation is being actively supressed by Zahi Hawass et al in a orgy of self-preservation. There is significant evidence that The Sphinx at Giza is far older than current mainstream Egyptology allows based on observations made by a John Anthony West and Robert Sch ...[text shortened]... ww.enterprisemission.com/images/kennedy/giza-o&b.jpg

Off-topic, I apologize. Please continue.
    Thank you, this was the example I was thinking of, but did not have any materials handy to note them.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 13:41
    So there can not be any more arguement about the ambiguity of my freakin' question.

Do you believe that there is a personal benefit by living within some, most or all of the strictures of the Bible?

Do you believe that there is a community benefit by living within some, most or all of the strictures of the Bible?

Examples - Do not murder - Yes, there is a personal and community benefit if we follow this stricture.

Yes, but keep in mind the xtian bible is not the originator of these ideals, whatever you've been led to believe. Much of the 'strictures' (sic) were co-opted from the Codex Hammurabi...which itself may be older than ancient Mesopotamia. What, exactly, are you attempting to demonstrate?
  5. Annapolis MD
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 14:04
    [b]Do you believe that there is a community benefit by living within some, most or all of the strictures of the Bible?

Yes, but keep in mind the xtian bible is not the originator of these ideals, whatever you've been led to believe. Much of the 'strictures' (sic) were co-opted from the Codex Hammurabi...which itself may be older than ancient Mesopotamia. What, exactly, are you attempting to demonstrate?[/b]
    I am trying to demonstrate that 'religion' is not necessarily a bad thing.

I believe that people, some good & some bad, use religion and do bad things, sometimes unintentionally.
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 15:47
    Fine, if the fundamentalists kept it to themselves and their families. They don't, won't, and can't. They are commanded to evangelise in order to perpetuate the jesus myth. Do you feel the pope should be able to dictate how you live your life? Should he be able to directly influence governmental policy outside of the Vatican?
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 16:07

I believe that people, some good & some bad, use religion and do bad things, sometimes unintentionally.
    There is the "message" and then there is the messenger.

Imagine going to a fine restaurant and having a lovely meal, but your waiter was rude and disgusting. Would that impact the experience for you? I think it would.
  8. Annapolis MD
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 17:12
    Fine, if the fundamentalists kept it to themselves and their families. They don't, won't, and can't. They are commanded to evangelise in order to perpetuate the jesus myth. Do you feel the pope should be able to dictate how you live your life? Should he be able to directly influence governmental policy outside of the Vatican?
    Is that just the Christians? Do Moslems fall under your statement? How about evangelical Atheists? Gaia Worshippers?
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 18:26
    A question has been raised as to whether "religion" provides any benefit.

How are we defining religion in this question? Is the term religion simply connoting a personal belief in a deity or higher being? By that definition, a person who believes in God but never sets foot in a church and never says anything about their faith to another person is still "religious." True or false? What about religions that do not posit the existence of a higher being or deity? Is a faithful Buddhist who does not believe in a godhead non-religious?

The Latin root of the word connotes a tie or a bind. This suggests a relationship with something external - a community, a church, a mythology, a liturgy, etc.

When I hear people discuss religion and its place in human life (or when I participate) I notice we aren't necessarily talking about the same thing. I very rarely hear a discussion about religion as the relationship of one's faith (whatever it is) to one's environment.

My attitude about my own religious tradition is that the mythology and teachings are preserved by an institution, all of which exist only to support a simple practice that helps me live clearly in relationship to others. The external religious stuff is all theatre; the internal religious understanding is all a dream. What's important is how I respond to this moment. That's the true religion.

Thank you for accepting 2 cents from me.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 18:34
    Is that just the Christians? Do Moslems fall under your statement? How about evangelical Atheists? Gaia Worshippers?
    Evangelical atheists? I don't think so.
  11. Annapolis MD
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 18:39
    Originally posted by Algernon
    A question has been raised as to whether "religion" provides any benefit.

How are we defining religion in this question? Is the term religion simply connoting a personal belief in a deity or higher being? By that definition, a person who believes in God but never sets foot in a church and never says anything about their faith to another perso ...[text shortened]... espond to this moment. That's the true religion.

Thank you for accepting 2 cents from me.
    Since I am just a humble layman, my understanding is limited. It is very possible for me to use the wrong terminology. I am also uneducated outside of 3 faiths known as Western Religion.

I was raised to believe that there is a personal relationship between God and I. It is my understanding that Catholicism and a few Protestant denominations believe that the 'church' is your intermediary with God.

I think I will now return to the General forum, where my feeble mind will not be taxed so much.
  12. Annapolis MD
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 18:40
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Evangelical atheists? I don't think so.
    You have never met an Evangelical atheist?
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 18:45
    I think I will now return to the General forum, where my feeble mind will not be taxed so much.

I hope I haven't intimidated you into silence - it wasn't my intention.
  14. Annapolis MD
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 18:54
    Originally posted by Algernon
    Nonsense. I generally have people tell me I am making thier heads hurt when I dwelve into the arcaner (is that a word? 😕 ) aspects of tax law or accounting principles. The same is happening to me as I have no clear philosophy of my own that I can articulate very well and it starts to hurt my wee little head.
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 19:45
    You have never met an Evangelical atheist?
    Where's Rwingett?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree