1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Apr '15 17:28
    Don't look at reading the Bible for rules to follow but read it as your wanting to know who God is through Jesus.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Apr '15 17:33
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Don't look at reading the Bible for rules to follow but read it as your wanting to know who God is through Jesus.
    Well put.

So many people only open the Bible to ask:
    "What do I have to DO?
    What do I have to DO?
    How do I DO it?
    Where is the DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT, DON'T GO THERE."

How about coming to the word of God to simply absorb the Holy Spirit of the living Person behind the Scriptures into your heart? He is there. He is available.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Apr '15 17:381 edit
    Yes, there are commandments in the Bible.
    But you know the commandments given on stone to Moses were also called - "the Testimony" .

They were not only commandments to do or not to do.
    They were "the testimony" of what God's being is like.

In 16:34 we read that Aaron laid up the pot with an omer of manna “before the testimony, to be kept.” Some translators of the Bible consider that the testimony here refers to the ark. We strongly disagree with this interpretation. In the Old Testament the testimony does not refer to the ark; it refers to the law of God, the Ten Commandments. The ark was called the ark of the testimony because the two tablets of the law were placed within the ark. Furthermore, the tabernacle was called the tabernacle of the testimony because it contained the testimony in the ark. Hence, the ark was the ark of the testimony, and the tabernacle was the tabernacle of the testimony. Within the ark in the tabernacle was God's testimony, the law. If we say that the testimony in 16:34 refers to the ark, then the golden pot with the hidden manna must have been outside the ark, for this verse tells us that the pot was placed before the testimony.

[From the Life Study of Exodus ,Witness Lee, ch.39.
    http://www.ministrybooks.org/SearchMinBooksDsp.cfm?id=2817D02BD3 ]

The ten commandments should also be understood as a description of the righteousness, holiness, and glory of God Himself. This is what God is like.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    10 Apr '15 00:30
    Originally posted by sonship
    Yes, there are commandments in the Bible.
    But you know the commandments given on stone to Moses were also called - [b]"the Testimony"

They were not only commandments to do or not to do.
    They were "the testimony" of what God's being is like.

[quote] In 16:34 we read that Aaron laid up the pot with an omer of manna “before ...[text shortened]... description of the righteousness, holiness, and glory of God Himself. This is what God is like.
    Awesome!
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 04:181 edit
    Well put.

So many people only open the Bible to ask:
    "What do I have to DO?
    What do I have to DO?
    How do I DO it?
    Where is the DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT, DON'T GO THERE."

How about coming to the word of God to simply absorb the Holy Spirit of the living Person behind the Scriptures into your heart? He is there. He is available.
    This way you can say that the word was not made to control people but man's religion of do's and don'ts is.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 13:45
    The Evolution of Jesus in the Bible: YouTube
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 17:52
    Originally posted by C Hess
    The Evolution of Jesus in the Bible: https://youtu.be/XKAHoYCWXF8
    When I see the word "evolution" associated with it, I know it must be some more lies. 😏
  8. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 18:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    When I see the word "evolution" associated with it, I know it must be some more lies. 😏
    The word evolution simply means change over time. If you watch the video you'll see that he's simply using the bible to demonstrate how the story of Jesus takes form incrementally. Same as the story of Satan.

You probably won't like it though. 😀
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 22:42
    Originally posted by C Hess
    The word evolution simply means change over time. If you watch the video you'll see that he's simply using the bible to demonstrate how the story of Jesus takes form incrementally. Same as the story of Satan.

You probably won't like it though. 😀
    That is not the definition I associate it with. I associate it with Evil-lution.

YouTube
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Apr '15 08:58

The ten commandments should also be understood as a description of the righteousness, holiness, and glory of God Himself.
    For the sake of argument I will assume a god exists.

But how does your statement make any sense?
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Apr '15 09:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Well, he's so righteousness and holy that the only four of the ten most binding rules he makes refer to his jealous insistence that his followers worship only him. Apparently he's a bit insecure.
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '15 21:26
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Well, he's so righteousness and holy that the only four of the ten most binding rules he makes refer to his jealous insistence that his followers worship only him. Apparently he's a bit insecure.
    I think you are being unfair on this god Cat , he/it/she knows everything and is all powerful, yet still screws it up. It/he/she has got to feel a bit insecure.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 10:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is not the definition I associate it with. I associate it with Evil-lution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W763lQR0tU
    Nonetheless, incremental change is what it means.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 18:49
    "Laugh it up, furball." -- Han Solo
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 07:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

The law of God testifies the things of God's own character. These points can be derived from Exodus 20:1-17.

He is absolutely unique. No one compares or competes with Him. We should not lift up anyone or anything above God. This uniqueness of God I believe can also be described as Holy.

Nothing else that exists is like God.

He is faithful and remembers His promises to a thousand generations. ... for I Jehovah your God, am a jealous God, ... showing lovingkindness to thousands of generations of those who love Me and keep My commandments.

God is like one unique Husband who will not tolerate adultery of His spouse, His covenanted people.

You shall not lift up the name of God in jest, in lightness, to give a false impression, in a joking manner, frivolously, disrespectfully, in casual attitude with contempt - [b]"You shall not take the name of Jehovah your God in vain, for Jehovah will not hold guiltless him who takes His name in vain." (Exo. 20:7)

This is related to the sacredness and holiness of God. The law testifies to what God is like and is called "the Testimony".

God's satisfaction is also the rest of humanity. When God rests because He has accomplished His eternal purpose, man also has satisfaction and rest from labor. So the keeping of the Sabbath Day is a reminder.

Man was created on the sixth day in Genesis. The next day was the REST of the Sabbath. This means man's FIRST day of living was to rest with God. "Remember the Sabbath day so as to sanctify it." (v.8)

Our ultimate rest is in God's rest.
    When God accomplishes His eternal plan mankind likewise is at rest there is no need for anxiety.

The honoring of your father and your mother is to honor your source of life. This chain goes all the way back to you Creator.
    The Source of life is honorable. The principle of procreation and parenthood is honorable because it is grounded in God. It eventually traces back to the ultimate "Parent" of our Creator.

God is not for murder since He is the Source of all life.
    God is the provider and anxiety leading to stealing is dishonorable of Him as the Provider.
    He is a God of truth and man should not bear false witness and lie.
    Man shall not covet or want jealously because God knows our needs.

These and more testify that God is a God of love and light. Light meaning illumination in man's conscience. He is just. He is faithful. He is righteous and merciful.

So the law is "the Testimony".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree