Biblical knowledge, intellectual kowledge VIS

Biblical knowledge, intellectual kowledge VIS

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
14 Dec 05

PSALM 138: MEDITATING ON GOD, TRANSCENDENT AND NEAR

VATICAN CITY, DEC 14, 2005 (VIS) - In today's general audience, celebrated in St. Peter's Square, 18,000 people gathered to hear the Pope's catechesis on Psalm 138, "God sees all."

"The meditation of the psalmist," said Benedict XVI, "seeks, above all, to penetrate the mystery of God, Who is transcendent yet near to us."

The Pope explained: "The message we are offered is straightforward: God knows everything and is present with His creation, which cannot detach itself from Him. Nevertheless, His presence is not menacing or inquisitive, though of course He looks severely on evil, to which He cannot remain indifferent.

"Nonetheless, the fundamental element is a saving presence, one capable of embracing the totality of both existence and history. This is the spiritual context to which St. Paul refers, when speaking at the Areopagus of Athens, by alluding to a Greek poet: 'In Him we live and move and have our being'."

Benedict XVI pointed out how the first part of the psalm celebrates divine omniscience, using verbs associated with the idea of knowledge. However, he went on, "biblical knowledge is superior to plain and simple intellectual knowledge; it is a kind of communion between the knower and the known: the Lord is close to us, while we think and act."

"The psalmist then introduces the other reality in which we are immersed: time, symbolically represented by night and day. ... Even darkness, where it is difficult to walk and to see, is penetrated by the epiphany and the gaze of the Lord of being and time. His hand is always ready to take ours to guide us along our earthly path. His closeness, therefore, is not one of terrifying judgment, but rather of support and liberation."

AG/GOD TRANSCENDENT AND NEAR/... VIS 051214 (300)

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
14 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

VATICAN CITY, DEC 14, 2005 (VIS) - In today's general audience, celebrated in St. Peter's Square, 18,000 people gathered to hear the Pope's catechesis on Psalm 138, "God sees all."

"The meditation of the psalmist," said Benedict XVI, "seeks, above all, to penetrate the mystery of God, W ...[text shortened]... "

Biblical knowledge can only be superior to 'traditional' knowledge if the bible is correct, without error and, most importantly, god actually exists.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
14 Dec 05

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Biblical knowledge can only be superior to 'traditional' knowledge if the bible is correct, without error and, most importantly, god actually exists.
I'm afraid your misssing the point.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
15 Dec 05

Why do you play this game? Why post yet another Vatican article without adding any of your own commentary? If you would state the point rather than giving homework, perhaps it would be less likely to be missed.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
15 Dec 05

How can I be missing the point when you never made one?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Dec 05

"The meditation of the psalmist," said Benedict XVI, "seeks, above all, to penetrate the mystery of God, W ...[text shortened]... "

"biblical knowledge is superior to plain and simple intellectual knowledge; it is a kind of communion between the knower and the known: the Lord is close to us, while we think and act."

I agree...if you want to know God, you have to know His Word.
And not just a superficial reading of it, but a deep study, since He is revealed in scripture.

Jer 9:23-24
23 Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
24 But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.
(NKJ)

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by scottishinnz
How can I be missing the point when you never made one?
The article's point, wiseguy ..... 🙂

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Why do you play this game? Why post yet another Vatican article without adding any of your own commentary? If you would state the point rather than giving homework, perhaps it would be less likely to be missed.
I'd kind of like to hear about Ivanhoe's girlfriend. For some reason that interests me. I mean this in all sincerity.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
15 Dec 05

The article's point, wiseguy ..... 🙂
Hey, I was just taking the point of the article to be the bit in italics....

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
17 Dec 05

*Bump* for the readers of the "Knowledge and knowledge" thread.