1. Territories Unknown
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 21:42
    The current speculation regarding the sun's supply of hydrogen expiration is ~5 billion years from 4:37 PM EST on 02.20.2014.

At that time, the sun will swell to red dwarf size and begin swallowing the planets in its immediate vicinity.
    'My very educated mother just served us nachos' doesn't even get past school before we're (literally, figuratively) toast.
    If there is anything left of homo sapiens, the species will necessarily be in a more stable solar system.
    But what are the chances?
    What are the odds that we, in five billion years' time, figure out how to successfully navigate the outer world, travel to another solar system and successfully transplant ourselves?
    If it took us nearly five billion years to get to this stage--- where we now know that we know nothing--- is there any hope at all that we will figure out how to leapfrog to another planet in another solar system and figure it out enough to keep on truckin' on?

So it's a safe bet that on that fateful afternoon, five billion years hence when all marshmallows reach their desired nirvana, man takes a giant dump and is heard from again nevermore.

Will there be a record of our time?
    What will be our legacy?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 22:44
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The current speculation regarding the sun's supply of hydrogen expiration is ~5 billion years from 4:37 PM EST on 02.20.2014.

At that time, the sun will swell to red dwarf size and begin swallowing the planets in its immediate vicinity.
    'My very educated mother just served us nachos' doesn't even get past school before we're (literally, figuratively) t ...[text shortened]... is heard from again nevermore.

What will be our legacy?
    A1: Nope.
    A2: Who knows. If it's a hot death, the only legacy left will be spent energy.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 00:09

'My very educated mother just served us nachos' doesn't even get past school before we're (literally, figuratively) t ...[text shortened]... is heard from again nevermore.

What will be our legacy?
    I do not see how it is possible for man to survive even a million years into the future. We are in the process of destroying ourselves long before the sun explodes. Our only hope is the return of the Lord to save us and create a new heaven and new earth as prophecied.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 00:25

What will be our legacy?
    Well, you know where I stand on this issue.

No sense getting worked up with over 5 billion years to go.

We won't make it another hundred, I'd be surprised if we see another 50. The ones that are left after the Judgment will all be in the Kingdom of God before that.

How can you, as a Christian, think we'll still be here in 5 billion years? Just asking.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 00:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne

We won't make it another hundred, I'd be surprised if we see another 50. The ones that are left after the Judgment will all be in the Kingdom of God before that.

How can you, as a Christian, think we'll still be here in 5 billion years? Just asking.
    why dont you think we will make more than 100 years? it will take something pretty big to stop us.
  6. rebel city
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 01:00
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    why dont you think we will make more than 100 years? it will take something pretty big to stop us.
    Good question. I have the feeling that this belief that the end is close has always existed since the beginning of christianity, and is an essential part of the recruiting business.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 03:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne to FreakyKBH

"We won't make it another hundred, I'd be surprised if we see another 50."
    --Suzianne

"We see ourselves drifting toward a war that hardly anyone desires ...
    Our lives become balanced on a sharp edge of a hypothesis--if there is
    to be a war one way of life is reasonable; if not, another. ... A youth
    who finds scholastic education boring will say to himself, 'Why bother?
    I shall be killed in battle before long.' A young woman who might live
    constructively thinks to herself that she had better have a good time while
    she can since presently she will be raped by Russian soldiery until she dies."
    --Bertrand Russell (_New Hopes for a Changing World_, 1951)

In this scenario, sadly, a young man who expects to 'be killed in battle
    before long' might decide to 'have a good time' by raping a young woman.
    When people expect to die soon, they often throw away normal restraints.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 03:42
    Rapture is imminent: could be an hour from now or in a thousand years on the evening of February 20, 3014. No one knows.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 04:071 edit

What will be our legacy?
    What will be our legacy?

Who is gonna care Freaky?

Mankind will destroy itself long before this occurs. Only God can save us.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 05:18
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    We won't make it another hundred, I'd be surprised if we see another 50.
    How much money would you bet on that?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 05:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    She said she would be surprised, not that it was written in stone.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 15:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Rapture is imminent: could be an hour from now or in a thousand years on the evening of February 20, 3014. No one knows.
    If one believes in a pre-Tribulation rapture.

The Tribulation is coming, and soon. If the (pre-Tribulation) "Rapture" is imminent, it'll have to be soon as well. I personally don't believe in a "get-out-of-the-Tribulation-free" card.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 15:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why would I bet any money on this?

It's not like I'd be in a position to collect.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 15:23
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    Are you trolling me, or what?

You should know my position, I've stated it here enough times.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 15:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    She said she would be surprised, not that it was written in stone.
    Just as a philosophical exercise, Ron, how much time do YOU think we have until the Tribulation? Don't be shy, now, let's hear it.