1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '07 18:46
    Someone mentioned it in another thread, so I looked it up. There's a brief discussion of it and links to the whole text at: http://www.heaven.net.nz/writings/enoch.htm

It seems kind of cool with the usual death and destruction associated with the OT and some nice descriptions of angelic warfare and the last days. Many of the prominent early Christian writers cited it as scripture but it seems to have been left on the cutting room floor when the final decision was made as to what was in the Bible during the 300-400 AD period. Why? And is what's in the Book of Enoch compatible with the the now-accepted version of the Bible (either the 67 book Protestant one or the 74 book traditional one)?
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    15 Oct '07 21:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Someone mentioned it in another thread, so I looked it up. There's a brief discussion of it and links to the whole text at: http://www.heaven.net.nz/writings/enoch.htm

It seems kind of cool with the usual death and destruction associated with the OT and some nice descriptions of angelic warfare and the last days. Many of the prominent early ...[text shortened]... epted version of the Bible (either the 67 book Protestant one or the 74 book traditional one)?
    I like this book. It would be interesting to see why it missed the cut.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Oct '07 23:57

It seems kind of cool with the usual death and destruction associated with the OT and some nice descriptions of angelic warfare and the last days. Many of the prominent early ...[text shortened]... epted version of the Bible (either the 67 book Protestant one or the 74 book traditional one)?
    Another good site: http://www.thebookofenoch.info/html/SequestrationOfEnoch.html

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 00:35
    many of the Apochrypha books are studied at seminary, and are considered invaluable resources in understanding Gods word
  5. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 14:481 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    many of the Apochrypha books are studied at seminary, and are considered invaluable resources in understanding Gods word
    The book of Enoch is quoted in Jude (14-15).

In the same way that books written after the Bible was complied are not ignored, books written before that time should also be read and taken on their own merit.

However, I think if it was meant to be in the Bible it would have been in the Bible. God, being all powerful, isn't going to let his word omit really important books.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 19:07
    Originally posted by genius

In the same way that books written after the Bible was complied are not ignored, books written before that time should also be read and taken on their own merit.

However, I think if it was meant to be in the Bible it would have been in the Bible. God, being all powerful, isn't going to let his word omit really important books.
    How exactly did God decide what books were in the Bible?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 20:28

Do you think God considers 'Song of Solomon' to be an important book ?
  8. England
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 10:27
    sadly its human that decided, what to leave in and out, but its the preachers that hold up the present bible and say god says this, to promote thier agenda that worry me.
  9. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 10:30
    If you believe God to be all powerful, as many christians do, then could you believe that God would let humans compile his word? How can a human tell you about God? Would it not be better for God to tell you?
  10. England
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 10:47
    genius gods word makes your heart jump with joy if you hear it, but remember he has told many a prophet to write down for man so its not lost and everyone with the desire can find his word if he knocks the door will be opened.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 11:32
    If you believe God to be all powerful, as many christians do, then could you believe that God would let humans compile his word? How can a human tell you about God? Would it not be better for God to tell you?
    One wonders of course why this all powerful God did not put down his word complete with translations into all languages and commentaries.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 17:07
    I repeat: How EXACTLY did God decide what books should be in the Bible? Are you saying that God directly dictated ALL the words that are in the Bible? And which Bible?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '07 15:23
    The book of Enoch is interesting indeed. In fact, it was once thought to have been a post-Christian text because of the striking similarities to Christian terminology and teachings. However, copies have been found among the Dead Sea Scrolls which predate it before the time of Christ. Over a hundred phrases in the New Testement find precedents in the Book of Enoch. For example, the KJV of Luke 9:35 had been mistranslated for years by saying, "This is my beloved Son; hear him" Apparently the translator here wished to make this verse agree with similar verse in Matthew and Mark. However, in the original Greek it reads, "This is my Son, the Elect One (from the Greek ho ekleehmennos or the Elect One) The Elect One is a most significant term in Enoch and is used 14 times in the book of Enoch. The Elect One in Enoch was prophesied to "sit upon the throne of glory" and should "dwell in the midst of them".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree