Brainwashing

Brainwashing

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
02 Jul 15
3 edits

In another thread I posted this:

I haven't been "to church" in about 15 years but still have faith and don't feel brainwashed in the slightest.

One of the things I like about this forum is how other posters do challenge your thinking and cause you to reflect. After posting the comment about brainwashing I started thinking ~

"If I was brainwashed, how would I know?"

Are you brainwashed? How do you know?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Jul 15

Originally posted by divegeester

Are you brainwashed? How do you know?
I think we need to reflect on the 'source' of our accumulated knowledge and belief structure. A healthy mind will have explored a number of possibilities and made an independent judgement based on the weight of evidence they have encountered. An 'unhealthy' or 'brainwashed' mind is more likely to have one main source that has compromised free thinking and overwhelmed our ability to think clearly or independently.

w

Moves
02 Jul 15

It's pretty simply really, if you don't agree with me you have been brain washed.

F

Moves
02 Jul 15

I certainly think there are elements of brainwashing that you start to recognize and that need to be analyzed, evaluated and - if necessary - overcome when one is trying to extract oneself from religious dogma.

w

Moves
02 Jul 15
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I certainly think there are elements of brainwashing that you start to recognize and that need to be analyzed, evaluated and - if necessary - overcome when one is trying to extract oneself from religious dogma.
All that can be known is that white Southerners who raise the confederate flag are all racist pigs who need to be censored and Muslims who look up to a warmongering slave owning thug cannot be judged according to Mo's actions or words to be just like him. In fact, I know of no Southern white who advocates slavery, yet nations across the world lose citizens who want to go fight for ISIS and carry out slavery and murder.

Last I checked they banned the Dukes of Hazard. LOL.

I'm sorry, what was that drivel about religion?

F

Moves
02 Jul 15

Originally posted by whodey
All that can be known is that white Southerners who raise the confederate flag are all racist pigs who need to be censored and Muslims who look up to a warmongering slave owning thug cannot be judged according to Mo's actions or words to do the same.

Last I checked they banned the Dukes of Hazard. LOL.

Take it to Debates, spanky! 🙄

w

Moves
02 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Take it to Debates, spanky! 🙄
How so?

Why should places like Wal Mart ban the Confederate flag but not the Koran?

Is this not the poster child of brainwashing?

Moves
02 Jul 15

All that can be known is that white Southerners who raise the confederate flag are all racist pigs who need to be censored and Muslims who look up to a warmongering slave owning thug cannot be judged according to Mo's actions or words to be just like him. In fact, I know of no Southern white who advocates slavery, yet nations across the world lose citizens w ...[text shortened]... hecked they banned the Dukes of Hazard. LOL.

I wasn't thinking of political brainwashing but now you have mentioned that, what about atheistic brainwashing?

twhitehead how do you know you are not brainwashed?

I'm probably going to regret asking that, but couldn't resist it 😵

F

Moves
02 Jul 15

How so?

Why should places like Wal Mart ban the Confederate flag but not the Koran?

Is this not the poster child of brainwashing?
Banning the Koran in the USA is a political issue as is banning some flag or other. The prism through which you see almost everything is the most wretchedly tabloid dimension of U.S. retail politics.

I don't think your freedom of speech should be curtailed, but I do think that your incessantly facetious political obsessions framing so many of your contributions is to the detriment of this forum, and that they not only belong on Debates, but they would amount to a more effective exercise of your free speech in that arena.

As things stand, you seem to be determined to act like the ugliest and most misanthropic Christian in this community, and that seems a pity..

rain

Moves
02 Jul 15
1 edit

I wasn't thinking of political brainwashing but now you have mentioned that, what about atheistic brainwashing?

I'm probably going to regret asking that, but couldn't resist it 😵
FMF gave a good explanation of how to know if you're brainwashed.

The most basic thing one can do is ask *why* you believe something or follow someone. Is the answer because of evidence, or because you were told you need to believe?

That's the simplest way.

F

Moves
02 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by vivify
I think it may have been Ghost of a Duke's contribution you had in mind here, and not mine.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jul 15

Originally posted by vivify

The most basic thing one can do is ask *why* you believe something or follow someone. Is the answer because of evidence, or because you were told you need to believe?

That's the simplest way.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a sign on the lane near where I live that reads "25 MPH".
For some reason I have a need to believe that if I go up that road at 60 MPH I could get hurt or get in trouble with the local police.

Am I brainwashed?

Cape Town

Moves
02 Jul 15

I am not entirely sure what 'brainwashing' actually is. Do you get your thoughts and memories entirely replaced? Or does it refer to a dogmatic way of thinking?
I think we need a clearer definition before we can go about determining whether we fit the definition.
I can at least say that my atheism was not pushed on me by other atheists. I grew up in a Christian family with practically everyone I knew being Christian and became atheist without actually meeting anyone promoting atheism or even admitting their atheism. It is something I figured out for myself. I have not ever been close to anyone who calls themselves atheist or even discussed it much other than with those on this forum.
So if I was 'brainwashed' into atheism it was not done by atheists I don't think.

w

Moves
02 Jul 15

Originally posted by FMF
Banning the Koran in the USA is a political issue as is banning some flag or other. The prism through which you see almost everything is the most wretchedly tabloid dimension of U.S. retail politics.

I don't think your freedom of speech should be curtailed, but I do think that your incessantly facetious political obsessions framing so many of your contributi ...[text shortened]... act like the ugliest and most misanthropic Christian in this community, and that seems a pity..
Actually the banning of the Confederate flag was done by a corporation, not the US government.

In addition, a TV network has taken off the Dukes of Hazard because they have a Confederate flag on their car and they are Southerners.

So why is corporate American not banning the Koran?

Cape Town

Moves
02 Jul 15

I had a classmate that I knew reasonably well in Secondary School. In University, he changed quite dramatically and spent all his time talking about God and holding a Bible etc. He also failed quite miserably because he didn't do much school work. Was he brainwashed?