1. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 01:39
    In the parking lot of my local grocery store I saw a car with a bumper sticker on it yesterday that said "Religion Is What Keeps Poor People From Murdering Rich People"....anyone have any thoughts on this? I think it has a point, at the same time I believe in something, I'm not sure what... know what I mean?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 01:41
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    In the parking lot of my local grocery store I saw a car with a bumper sticker on it yesterday that said "Religion Is What Keeps Poor People From Murdering Rich People"....anyone have any thoughts on this? I think it has a point, at the same time I believe in something, I'm not sure what... know what I mean?
    Sounds like a modern take on the old adage ... Religion is the opium for the masses.

Not sure what you mean about believing in something. You believe in something just because? Is that it?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 07:37
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    It is a common belief that religion keeps people moral. I have known a number of people who seemed to think that if they stopped believing in God they would go on an immediate mass murdering spree. However there is no scientific evidence for that view. My own experience is that religion is a convenient mask for immoral people to hide behind.
  4. England
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 10:57
    My own experience is that religion is a convenient mask for immoral people to hide behind.[/b]
    you must have had some bad experience fot this view. Mine is not the same. but like all walks of life there is good and not very good souls, but we are not the judges, thier was a bishop selling posters from the pulpit in 1999 of the life of christ. i thought that was against my teaching, but the final judgement will tell.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 11:31
    Originally posted by stoker
    you must have had some bad experience fot this view. Mine is not the same. but like all walks of life there is good and not very good souls, but we are not the judges, thier was a bishop selling posters from the pulpit in 1999 of the life of christ. i thought that was against my teaching, but the final judgement will tell.
    Surely you know people who have hidden behind religion? Even prominent figures like GW Bush do that.

So if we are not the Judges must we ignore all other peoples actions? Can we not discus or criticize other people? By even mentioning the bishop you are passing a form of judgment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree