1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 18:23
    Originally posted by Deep Thoughtless
    http://unreasonablefaith.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/doonsbury-creationist.jpg
    Anyone else have trouble reading the words? I can only make out about 10%.
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 18:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Anyone else have trouble reading the words? I can only make out about 10%.
    Firefox allows me to zoom in with a left-click.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by randolph
    FabianFnas, in particular. You seem to get rather mad when spiritual ideas are brought up in the science forum, yet you persist in invading discussions here with scientific ideas- clearly not "spiritual". I think that if you expect spirituality to stay out of science, you should keep science out of spirituality.
    It sometimes seems a little repetitive (even for a relatively new member) that much of the debate in the spirituallity forum degenerates into theists vs non-theists arguing about the rationality of believing in God perse, but it is understandable and makes good reading most of the time anyway.

I do therefore think I understand the motive behind this thread but I do have to dissagree with it. The fundamental debate of God vs no-God will almost always be defended on the laters side through science or at least social science viewpoints and these should not be discouraged.

The science forum is (i would conjecture) more about science interest matters and developements within that area and spiritual imput would derail most debate into god vs no god debate. However, to my first point, there is perhaps opportunity for members of a spiritual center to lead some more spiritual debates, about spiritually, without those posts being derailed by scientific veiwpoints.

Hope that made some sense!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 18:341 edit
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Firefox allows me to zoom in with a left-click.
    Ah, I am using FF, I'll give it a try.
    Yep, worked as advertised, great strip! I wonder if creationists actually think that far ahead?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 18:59
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It sometimes seems a little repetitive (even for a relatively new member) that much of the debate in the spirituallity forum degenerates into theists vs non-theists arguing about the rationality of believing in God perse, but it is understandable and makes good reading most of the time anyway.

I do therefore think I understand the motive behind thi ...[text shortened]... ally, without those posts being derailed by scientific veiwpoints.

I don't mind anyone belive in their god. What I object about is that they saying they use science to prove the existance of god and other things, but at the same time deny scientific proofs about evolution, BigBang and other things.

As I said before - you cannot ever mix religion and science.
    You cannot ever use science to prove religious things, and you cannot ever use religuion to explain phenomena of physics.
    Arguments like "God created it that way" is utterly anti-science.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 19:001 edit

I do therefore think I understand the motive behind thi ...[text shortened]... ally, without those posts being derailed by scientific veiwpoints.

One question I can think of: Has spirituality been a positive influence on mankind, god or no god? How many spiritualities are there? Sorry, that was two questions. And a more fundamental one: what is spirituality?
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 21:50
    science and religion went dancing one night...
    tha drink did flow and they began to fight...
    science smacked religion, "i have facts on my side!"...
    religion replied, "only God can decide!"...
    round an round, and up and down...
    tha dancing continued az tha Spirits did frown...
    at last they did tire, of tha relentless discourse...
    science wuz yawning and religion wuz hoarse...
    they called fer a truce, twas quite late that night...
    then they hopped in tha sack an made it alright...

rookie
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 23:19
    Originally posted by rookie54
    science and religion went dancing one night...
    tha drink did flow and they began to fight...
    science smacked religion, "i have facts on my side!"...
    religion replied, "only God can decide!"...
    round an round, and up and down...
    tha dancing continued az tha Spirits did frown...
    at last they did tire, of tha relentless discourse...
    science wuz yawning ...[text shortened]... twas quite late that night...
    then they hopped in tha sack an made it alright...

rookie
    But somehow I can't see the Pope getting in bed with Einstein....
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 23:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But somehow I can't see the Pope getting in bed with Einstein....
    Metaphorical bags over heads? 😉
  10. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    15 Dec '08 14:43

I agree. Science looks at facts and deduces what it can from them, whilst religion, specifically Christianity, is based on faith, and indeed cannot be 'proven' from a scientific point of view. God doesn't want you to believe through proof, but rather through faith. Thus, while science belongs everywhere religion does not (for instance, it does not belong in science as a method of proof). I remember being told once that "God is the why, science the how..."
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 17:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Are you saying those that are spiritual are more tolerant than the scientific ?
    You're using is a false dichotomy ......

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree