1. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 12:58
    Ok pal. Remember when you said I am not a geologist, merely because I only have a BS and not a PhD? (The nerve of some Telerions!)

Anyway, just last night I told my wife about that and she said...
    "Well, you're sexy!"

Just thought I'd let you know.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 13:131 edit
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Ok pal. Remember when you said I am not a geologist, merely because I only have a BS and not a PhD? (The nerve of some Telerions!)

"Well, you're sexy!"

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder, if you cannot provide some evidence to support your stand, I shall be forced to deny the existence of such a concept.
  3. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 13:16
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you cannot provide some evidence to support your stand, I shall be forced to deny the existence of such a concept.
    Who said anything about beauty?
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 13:21
    Who said anything about beauty?
    Happy? Now put up, I wanna see some proof 😛
  5. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 13:30
    Happy? Now put up, I wanna see some proof 😛
    Hey...............! You're not Telerion!
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 13:33
    Hey...............! You're not Telerion!
    Starrman just likes hot men. Please send him a picture to shut him up.

P-
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 13:41
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Starrman just likes hot men. Please send him a picture to shut him up.

P-
    Phlab you said you'd keep that between us! I feel so used :'(
  8. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 13:45
    Phlab you said you'd keep that between us! I feel so used :'(
    Where is Telly?
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 14:371 edit

"Well, you're sexy!"

You should see me in my new research glasses. Ooh la la!

To be honest, I'm not too certain when I'll get around to taking up your position on the Grand Canyon. I'm either going to have to do some studying of the Grand Canyon's formation (the orthodox version) which will take me a lot of time, or I'm going to have to put together an arsenal of web links so that we can duke it out 21st-century style.

You shouldn't be too surprised though if I just never actually pick the topic up. I know what about all that tough smack that I talked? What can I say? My bad. (cower in shame)

Edit: Oh yeah, I've really cut back on my time (and quality too if you look at my latest posts) on the forum. Research is really going very well. I also have gotten drawn into some fun discussions of economics at iidb.org which has taken up my 1am-230am free slot.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 18:32
    Originally posted by telerion

To be honest, I'm not too certain when I'll get around to taking up your position on the Grand Canyon. I'm either going to have to do some studying of the Grand Canyon's formation (the orthodox version) which will take me a lot of time, or I'm going to have to put together an arsenal of web ...[text shortened]... into some fun discussions of economics at iidb.org which has taken up my 1am-230am free slot.
    Really? I once looked it up and didn't find too many interesting topics about economics. Maybe things have changed, I'll have to look it up...
  11. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 23:20
    Originally posted by telerion

To be honest, I'm not too certain when I'll get around to taking up your position on the Grand Canyon. I'm either going to have to do some studying of the Grand Canyon's formation (the orthodox version) which will take me a lot of time, or I'm going to have to put together an arsenal of web ...[text shortened]... into some fun discussions of economics at iidb.org which has taken up my 1am-230am free slot.
    That's cool dude. When my wife said that (she really did!) I just thought it would be fun to pass it on.

I don't have much time myself to well pursue these threads. The way the discussions go on and on and on.........

12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 00:381 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Really? I once looked it up and didn't find too many interesting topics about economics. Maybe things have changed, I'll have to look it up...
    In a thread created by you in IIDB I realized that I have very similar goals for my career to the ones you had. Why did you drop them in favour of research?

PS: And what's with all those smileys you use there?
    😲🙄😵
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 03:34
    Originally posted by Palynka
    In a thread created by you in IIDB I realized that I have very similar goals for my career to the ones you had. Why did you drop them in favour of research?

PS: And what's with all those smileys you use there?
    😲🙄😵
    Well the one beating himself against a wall is pretty self-explanatory.

You mean working for the World Bank or the IMF?

Two effects I think. First, research just sort of grew on me. When I entered the program, I would read titles and abstracts of papers and I thought that a lot of the research sounded incredibly dull. Once I gained the knowledge to understand what those papers were talking about, I found them really interesting. Plus I ran into some one doing work that I found fascinating and promising. So now I'm interested in dynamic public economics/macroeconomics. I'm working on a model with wealth and income heterogeneity and idiosyncratic and aggregate risk which cannot be completely insured against. Agents use capital and labor hours to partially self-insure. In addition, an income tax is determined by universal suffrage that which allows agents to smooth consumption, but also distorts labor and savings decisions. I get to model inequality in serious manner which I like, and I am learning some computational work from a very strong teacher. I'm loving it.

The other effect is not so positive. I don't know if you have experienced it where you're at, but in my program there is a very strong bias toward research. Jobs with government, private sector, liberal arts, and non-governmental organizations are looked down upon. It's hard to work with an advisor who you really admire and who helps you learn so much and then take a job that you know will disappoint them.

Fortunately, the first effect is stronger than the second.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree